Removing valve cover on electronic ignition 81 special... Please help!!

corytburkhart

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I'm pretty much done with the bottom end and that's all good.. But I wanted to remove the valve cover and points cover to polish, and permanently cap off the leaky tach hole..... Learned from the forum that its pointless and a pain in the ass to remove points cover so .... Tried removing the valve cover and seem to be hung up by the points cover ... Please help!:confused:

Well fuck just read in the manual that you actually need to drill and tap the plug pull it out to remove points cover... Remove points cover to remove valve cover.. What a bitch/ stupid design !

Last edited:
Yes; I believe one of the bolts (the hidden one) is attached to the valve cover.

Managed to remove both covers still together without damaging anything... But that stupid brass plug will be gone tomorrow placed by removable bolt ... Completely stupid design !!

Bc I appreciate your conviction to this site!...... It's a blind hole with a brass(soft so you can tap) plug with a flat head. The manual calls for you to drill with a 5 mm bit and tap with a m6 1.0 .... I could easily do it at work but who the hell has that laying around and good luck pulling it out once you have it tapped. Anyway it'll have a bolt in there tomorrow( because the hole is too big for a screw) so ill have a removable points cover!

I certainly don't have those tools laying around. They are stored in my tool boxes! :)

Once threaded, a puller can be used to easily remove the plug.

Oh I just love to post!

By the way; if you have the tamper plug I don't think you have points. Points are cheap to replace but require more work to maintain. I'd prefer not to have them, but because I do I make the best of it :p

yes bc i don't have points. so today i drilled and tapped plug with a 1/4 20 tap(m6 1.0??? fk that too small) .. popped the plug out with 1/4 20 allen bolt, some washers, and a big flat head fairly easy.
theres actually a screw underneath that plug so i'm happy no worries i'll stop bitching now thanks guys :)

Back