Replaced Voltage Regulator, still having problems.

cabbott12321

1977 XS360
Reaction score
So I've been having problems with my engine bogging down and dying. I replaced the voltage regulator and it was fine for a bit :bike: but then the battery started pooping out on me again :banghead:. I don't think it was a at a full charge so I'm gonna trickle charge it up and see what happens, but if it still acts up what do I check for next? I plan on going through as much of the wiring as I can today to check for disconnected wires, grounds or shorts but what is the next cheapest thing to check, the voltage regulator was like 26 bucks. I'd like keep these fixes as cheap as I can so i'll start with the cheapest stuff. What should I do next?

There is a screw you can turn slightly in either direction to make adjustments for a little more a little less voltage from the alternator. Steps for that can be found in the manuals found in a sticky.

Don't overlook that it could be the battery itself is shot and will not hold a charge. If you put a volt meter across the battery terminals while the engine is running (give it some gas) and are getting 14+ volts, I'd start to suspect the battery. If you get around 12V or less, suspect the charging system is still not working. There must be 15 recent threads providing more details than I can that you should read thru regarding charging system problems.

Back