replacing/removing side covers

Youlost

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I recently bought an extra set of all the engine covers that are easily removable while still on the bike and was wondering what is the best way to install these. I do have a full gasket set. Should I use black rtv on both mating surfaces and sandwich the gasket between them?

I've attached
covers.jpg
a pc of all of the covers I will be replacing. The oil filter cover and bottom oil pan do already have rubber-type gaskets so I'm good on those.

No single right answer for this. In the past I have used a smear of sealant, I have put never-seize on the gaskets, but lately and most often I have done nothing and just install them dry. I always fear that any sealant like RTV silicone, if applied too heavily, can squeeze out inside the case when installed, come loose and clog up oil passages. So now I only use sealants only if specified by the shop manual. That doesn't make it the right way, just how I doo it.

I had an old school bike mechanic tell me to use white lithium grease on both sides of the paper gasket. This way they come off clean in the future and reusable. I've tried it and it's not leaking but haven't had to pull any of them back off yet.

Are both sides “wet”? Was wondering if I could do one side before the next oil change.

Last edited:
Both sides can be considered wet when the bike is upright. But you can lay it over to one side or lean it up against a wall at an angle and take off a cover that way.

Back