Resistor Spark Plugs and Resistor Spark Plug Caps

Old Okie

Old Okie
Reaction score
On a '78 XS400 I am having some trouble with the plug wires and caps. Do I need resistor caps or plugs and how can I replace the plug wires without buying new coils???? The bike is running now but I can see trouble ahead.

i think i got 5k resistor caps on mine. they are only there for radio interference purposes, but that's all i could get.

My local bike shop had plug wire readily available, have you looked around your neighbor hood for any type of bike shop near by? Harley Davidson, or what ever? some sort of ATV outlet? I suspect any place like that, will have appropriate plug wires, and even the caps. Save the rubber ends off the old cables. that does provide a little bit of water protection (rain) from the spark-plug. Plug wires are not that expensive, if you take your existing cap/wire into the store, they might give you more help yet! They just squeeze in to those holes/Twist in.
Tobie

I was under the impression that the plug wires were built into the coils and could not be replaced, some of my Hondas have been made that way. So much easier than I thought. New plug wires and caps it is. Thanks for the help.

I had no idea either when I first started "starting" the bike, A co-worker suggested I do a check of spark on either side, by starting it up, and then pull a plug, if it dies that might be the only cylinder firing. If there is no change, then its not firing, if it still idles, roughly try the other side, if same, there is nothing wrong.
Well I had a problem, that was fixed with new wires, caps, and plugs. Good luck
Tobie

Back