Restoring wheels/ Buying new wheels

XSrocker

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
While I am restoreing my bike (1979 xs400 2e) I am thinking about the wheels. They are the chrome laced wheels. They have a bit of rust, maybe surface, on them and drum brakes. Would it be easier to have someone "spruce up" the wheels or get new ones. If I get new ones should I be concerned wether or not they had drum brakes on them?

Note: sorry for the very newbie questions, I am still a newb at this.

Before you buy anything new try removing the rust. I found that any oil, even wd40, and ultra fine steel wool removes most surface rust. If you keep everything well lubricated with oil you shouldn't have any problems with scratches.

SOS pads and soapy water work great and will not scratch the chrome- just removes the rust. Follow that up with chrome cleaner or wax to keep the rust from coming back. I don't have spoked wheels, but I did this on my fenders, gauges and shocks and the rust has not returned in over a year.

I would reccommend copper or brass wool as they are softer than the chrome finish and harder than rust or grime. Always use a lubricant or polish. But keep the laced wheels. Have fun with it and do small areas at a time as the results will motivate you.

Back