rev high idle, sticks 1982 xs400

Idles and runs better I replaced the fuel line, "left"carb vacuum tube and needed to remove the "right" carb vacuum plug. also with no airfilter. if i place my finger over the tube where the plug should be the idle rises. any thoughts. bike seems to run in 1st and 2nd gear ok like this. small parking lot.

Attachments

• lcarb.jpg
    lcarb.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 112
  • rcarb.jpg
    rcarb.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 112
  • airbox.jpg
    airbox.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 121
All depending on your petcock, you might be able to plug both those holes up. otherwise ensure the other end of the hose from there (carb boot) goes to the petcock, and hasn't slipped. Once you have done that, do the propaine test, or the WD-40 test, to see if you have leaks in the boot. Perhaps your plugged has dry rotted a hole though the plug? Nothing more embarrassing when you go for the drivers test, and you dont notice that connecting tube has fallen off. (I did it, and failed that time) Good luck
Tobie

ok everyone just a quick update.... I replaced the hose-petcock to carb and the vacuum from the petcock to the engine. also turned out the throttle adjustment screw 1/2 turn and she starts up with choke, warms up and idles fine. seems to be 100 % better. will keep you posted is things turn for the worse..

Back