RobbyD's 78 xs400 cafe build

RobbyD

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
After building my first bike then selling it last year I've been wanting to do another cafe bike. I had a couple kz400's but lost interest in those then sold. Funny thing is, until I discovered cafe bikes I actually hated motorcycles lol. But since my last build I've come to appreciate a lot of different styles. I love the look of simplicity/bare bones of a well done cafe bike, just a couple wheels, a motor and rider.

As a early Father's Day present my awesome wife bought me a 78 xs400. I have been wanting to cafe a bike with mags ever since I seen a cb550 with lesters and this xs fit the bill perfect. Has a little over 8k miles on it and pretty clean for the most part.

Plans for the bike are just a very simple and clean cafe bike. It will pretty much be a replica of my cb (candy blue frame and black tank and seat). This build will go at a slower pace then my cb did. As some may know it's very easy to throw a sh!t load of money at a bike in no time.

I learned a lot from my cb build both good and bad. This bike will be fully mocked up before I go crazy with powdercoating. Making sure everything is where it needs to be and comfortable (as comfortable as a cafe bike with clip one can be)

Here it is after cleaning it up the day after bringing it home

My old cb550

The xs would run but only on choke and pissed fuel out the petcock so I ordered a new petcock and gaskets from mikexs and rebuilt the carbs. They weren't nearly as bad as I figured they would be. Tops and bowls will eventually be powdercoated black

And clean

Ran pretty good and had great compression, 145 in the left cylinder and 150 in the right.

i started stripping a lot of parts I didn't need and ordered some clip ons and headlight brackets for it.

That is how it sits today, nothing crazy or special....yet!!
I contacted Ian holcott over at caferacerseatandtank/twin line motorcycles with my measurements for my seat. He did the one on my cb550 and have been a fan of his work since.

I'll be taking my top triple tree into work this weekend and do some machining on it and once Ian finishes my seat I'll order up my tires so I can decide on what length shock I want to run. Seems like these bikes sit very low in the back

Last edited:
Was milling on the top triple and it ended up flopping out of the vise... Oops, I think it will be fine after a little more work with an angle grinder. It looks a whole lot better then a stocker now though

My seat will be finished up today or tomorrow and in the mail early next week.
I'll post pics of the finished product when Ian sends them over to me

It does look a lot better. I like working with aluminum! It is aluminum, right? The lower is steel though I think. Mine almost looks like cast iron.

Guys I can't say enough good things about Ian halcott over at twin line motorcycles/caferacerseatandtank. Extremely great customer service and just plain good old fashioned metal work. Great guy to deal with.

This amazing seat will be at my house shortly

Muffler I'm not really sure yet but I will for sure run some type of 2-1 whether it be something custom made or a Mac. I really liked the idea one of the other members had, use the money I'd spend on a Mac and buy a welder instead.

My seat should be here next Monday so for me to be able to test fit it, some things had to go ahead and go now.

Final detabing will be done once it's a bare frame so everything is easier to get to

Last edited:
Thank you sir.

I'll probably be ordering some tires for it in the next couple weeks. Maybe sooner if my quad sells.

I need to look into getting a decent small welder too. I have access to one at work but can't bring the bike into work to weld on it..

Went ahead and ordered my tires today. I'll grab some new tubes and maybe new wheel bearing and seals too. I went with 100/90-18 in the front and a 120/90-18 in the rear.

Started tearing the rear wheel down today. I'll finish that up tomorrow and if I have time I'll get the front tore down. Off to the powder coaters after that.

Wasn't there some issue with those wheels having a cush drive that cannot be removed and the heat from the powder coat would damage it?

I wasn't aware of this. If this is true then I guess they will get some appliance epoxy spray bomb then... Wanting to powder coat as much as I can on this bike

Bcware, thank you for the heads up. After some looming around you Are correct.

Looks like I'll have a fun little project painting them this weekend.

For those who have never used it, the rustoleum appliance epoxy is actually amazing stuff.
Only downfall is it has no uv protection. This bike will be garaged and probably rode mostly just to work and around town so that doesn't bother me.

Both wheels were done on my cb550, here a pic of the rear for a quick reference

ow187_zps352kg6fl.jpg

Back