Running lean; exhaust issues

ERaney

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hey friends!

This is my first actual post on here, but I've been around I here for a couple years now getting my 79 xs400 up and running.

Recently i did a bunch of mostly cosmetic work on the bike which involved taking off the exhaust. The guy i bought it from did a custom 2-1 exhaust. It ran just fine before with it, and i had it jetted properly. I replaced the exhaust gaskets when i put the pipes back on because they were leaking bad at the head.

Now no obvious leak at the head, but a small-ish leak at the joint to the muffler. She idles fine but i can tell its running hot and lean (pipes get real blue, and plugs look white) and died when i took it out around the block when trying to start moving in first uphill. Yup, had to push that puppy 1/4 mile uphill back home, all 125lbs of me Haha, im sure it was quite the site to see.

Would that small leak cause this? How can i fix it?! Please help a sista' out! This is literally the last thing i have to do on the bike and its driving me crazy. Ive been able to figure out all the other crap with this machine, but this is just stumping me!

Im sort of going through this process right now on my bike. Ive come to the conclusion that when you change "one of the three" you need to readjust/check all three. And by that i mean air, fuel, and spark.

Hot and Lean suggests you could -richen- the pilot screws. On a rebuild we suggest 3 turns, and after you get it with a carb balancing tool (2x4 with a long tube and atf in it. forgot the name, I have it in my garage.) That will get it rich. Lets see where that going to get us.
Tobie

Back