XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
First off:
1979 XS400f
rear rim-18x3.15
front rim-18x2.85
both tube type
I have no front fender.

I really like the look of the fat front tire. I think I want one that looks about the same as the rear. Since the front rim is narrower, will it make a tire that's exactly the same "size" (numerically) as the rear look different enough to notice? It is just 3/10ths difference, widthwise.

What sizes should I look for to get them to look as close to the same size as possible?

I'm gonna continue to look on the intertubes and if I find something before you guys do, I'll post it...

Also, I really like the look of the dual sport style tires.

Ok. Here's what I've come up with.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/29/393/15130/ITEM/Kenda-K761-Dual-Sport-Rear-Tire.aspx

I feel like this could work front and rear, in the 120/80 size. What are your opinions?

And Drewpy, it would just be soooooo much easier to keep the wheel I have. I'm looking for instant gratification. :D

I've read a lot of the posts about mounting a rear on the front by switching the rotation. I also don't really go all that fast at all. Thanks for your knowledges.
:bow2::bow:

Jacob

Ok then. I just went ahead and ordered a pair. 120/80-18 for the rear, and 110/80-18 front. I'll let you know how it goes.

... I feel like this could work front and rear, in the 120/80 size. What are your opinions? .... Jacob
I assume that you are hoping for the same size look from the side vantage point. If that is the case, and if the the front wheel is 18" but narrower, then a smaller tire but with a taller ratio might give you that look - i.e., 110/90/18 (if they make such a size).
90% of 110 mm is pretty close to 80% of 120 mm, yet the fit would be better on the narrower front.

They don't have that size in any of the dual sport tires that were economically priced. I really didn't want to spend a lot on a set that is kind of a gamble. We'll see what happens. I'll post up some pics as soon as I get them on. Thanks for the feedback so far.
Jacob

Got them in and got them on. It wasn't so bad changing them myself. Probably took an hour each (including having to patch both tubes from one pinch hole each that i made).

Here you go:
front 110/80-18
rear 120/80-18
Kenda k-761

Attachments

• IMG_1327.jpg
    IMG_1327.jpg
    306.1 KB · Views: 521
  • IMG_1325.jpg
    IMG_1325.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 531
Back