SeaFoam, SeaFoam and more SeaFoam LOL (and Rotary and Radial Engines)

robindean

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
In a couple of my previous discussions, members have brought up adding SeaFoam to my tank as a preventative measure. So, last night I broke down and bought my first bottle of the stuff.

The store manager asked what I was using it for. I told him that it was for my motorcycle. He asked me if I was winterizing. I said no and mentioned that I intend on riding the bike through the winter, once per week, for about 45 minutes each ride.

He happens to ride so he warned me not to use too much of it. His experience with the product ended in him needing to clean the jets on his ride. That statement pointed me to, you guessed it, the xs400 forum :)

What I have is a white, 16oz bottle of SeaFoam "motor treatment".

My many questions are as follows:

Should I use this product? If so ...

When do I use it?
How do I use it?
How much do I use? (and how much is too much?)
Do I use it all year?

The more info I have, the better.

I used Seafoam all last year- no problem. I now use Lucasoil gas treatment, but not because of a problem with Seafoam, I like the upper cylinder properties of Lucasoil, even though it's probably not necessary.

I used to use it at 1oz per gallon all the time.

In reading the seafoam website, it would seem that the easiest application of it is to use 1oz. per gallon.

I'd still like to know if a) that applies to motorbikes and b) I should use it at every fillup.

Either way, looks like I need to buy a liquid measure.

Do you need to use it at every fill up? No. Will it harm anything? No. 1oz per gallon goes for a 4 stroke engines. The ratio doesn't change for the size of the engine, just the rate of fuel consumption. With the alcohol in the fuel these days, I like some sort of additive- makes me feel better even if it doesn't do much else.

basically, there are two types of combustion engines: two- and four-stroke, which refers to how the engine fires. Smaller engines (garden equipment to dirtbikes) tend to be built as two-stroke, since it is cheaper and the small displacement means that balance isn't as critical. The XS has a four-stroke engine. Seafoam works in both types, so no worries about adjustment, though you can add more or less if you feel that you should.

basically, there are two types of combustion engines: two- and four-stroke, which refers to how the engine fires. Smaller engines (garden equipment to dirtbikes) tend to be built as two-stroke, since it is cheaper and the small displacement means that balance isn't as critical. The XS has a four-stroke engine. Seafoam works in both types, so no worries about adjustment, though you can add more or less if you feel that you should.

there's rotary engines too, wankel to you! :D

i just dump a whole thing in the tank to make the mixture strong... have never had a problem.. but now i use acetone/trans oil mix and it does wonders for me. acetone make it for a higher octane and atomizes the fuel a little better and the trans fluid is a
HEAVY detergent and keeps all the internals nice and clean :)

How do "strokes" work and how many strokes is my motorcycle?

Do I need to adjust my measurement for SeaFoam?

The piston goes down (one stroke) sucks in gas, air and snakeoil seafoam -intake stroke.
The piston goes up (stroke/cycle 2) and smushes the mixture like a high pressure flatulance youre holding in compression.
The spark plug fires the compressed/mashed explosive smelly mixture, and forces piston down (stroke 3) -combustion.
The exploded gas releases and makes a noise from the exhaust pipe when the piston travels back up (stroke 4 - or cycle 4)

You should replace the motor with a Wankel and you won't need to know all that. Fewer moving parts, goes around in a (almost) circle and instead of seafoam just premix an oz of 2-stroke Lucas oil to save on the apex seals.

personally wouldn't use seafoam, but i suppose anything in moderation. .. :shrug:

I've only seen those on airplanes though :p

here's 3 for ya, I think you mean radial though, Merkel springs to mind for a radial bike.

Suzuki version
1975_RE5_DEsales1a_1154.jpg

Norton, saw these take the F1 british championship at Cadwell park
norton_rotary_jps_page2_3.jpg

German Version
hercules+1+wankel+depliant.jpg

:thumbsup:

Norton also built the commander with a wankel engine for a single year. Really interesting how they work and the power they provide with a small displacement.

Norton also built the commander with a wankel engine for a single year. Really interesting how they work and the power they provide with a small displacement.

the commander was their first bike and the UK police used a few too

The Norton wankel's are still being built, they hope to race one in next years TT

Sorry we got off topic. No seafoam won't clog your jets. I used it in a bike that would only run on full choke, bam, instantly solved my problem.

Agreed. Now that we have that solved, back off topic.

Rotary engine:

rotaryengine.jpg

Radial engine:

11wrightj4radialengine.jpg

Learn the difference, know it, love it.

Back