Seca 400 Won't Start

rwh824

XS400 Member
Reaction score
1982 Seca 400

I had it running a couple of days ago, but now I can't get it to start no matter what I try. The fuel line is clear, battery is new and charged. When I try to start it the first crank it turns over then promptly dies. This is with choke full. After that it cranks and cranks, no matter where the choke is placed. Please help! I'm about ready to push the bike down the hill by my house....ok not really, but I am very frustrated that the bike won't start.

When i got mine running it seemed to do exactly what your drscribing. all i did was change the plugs n only do half choke if its been sitting. otherwise i just use the throttle gently and when it starts i go half choke to.keep the idle up till warm.

The plugs are brand new, so I don't think that can be it. I've tried going half choke, didn't seem to make much of a difference but I will try again.

They flood easy so u may have to pull the plugs and clean them off. was it always this hard to start? Could be a carb problem. also...i gotta ask...is your fuel on? No kinks in lines?

No kinks, petcock is on. Carbs were just cleaned recently so it better not be them. I'll try pulling the plugs tonight and see how they look.

Don't assume that new parts are good. Pull the plugs, connect them to the engine with jumper wires (so you don't fry the coils), crank the engine and look for a strong white spark.

Oh, and don't use starting fluid. If the engine is flooded, your mufflers can burst (or even explode) when the fuel in them ignites.

I checked the plugs, both are dry and sparking. I can not figure this out and its really disappointing. There are only so many months that I can ride here in Oregon.

if both spark plugs are dry and sparking, you're not getting fuel from the carbs towards the cylinders. So look there, clean the carbs (again) and check your inline fuel filter (maybe it's clogged and full of dirt).

Back