Sestful Build: 78 xs400E

Sesty

H.E. Pennypacker
Reaction score
Figured id stop making new posts for every project/ problem that comes along.

Its a 1987 xs400-E.
7,503 miles, 2 owner bike. Tires and battery was shot, and the carbs were dumping fuel all over. PO cut the stock mufflers and welded on the emgo shorties and crappy emgo pods.

First thing I did was remove the old rear flasher and taillight. Cut and remounted the fender and installed a new integrated LED taillight. Shortly after was new rubber, Kenda Challengers, front and back. Swaped in flat drag bars, the PO had put on custom tracker bars (he cut and welded the OEM bars) they were a bit crooked. I also shaved down a bit of the seat foam, and waiting to re cover it.

After having carb issues I sent them out to get ultrasonically cleaned and I re-jetted for new UNI pods and the short mufflers: 45 pilots, 135 mains, needle in the middle. Stupidly i let it sit all winter with fuel in the clean carbs and have been having carb issues all summer. Cleaned them 2-3 times already and Im ready for number 4.

Last night made a manometer with some tubing a yard stick and few ounces of 2-stroke oil. Got them sync pretty close, however the oil was a bit jumpy and it was hard to tell exactly. The levels seemed to change after every start up.

And I saw some tiny flames coming up the carb sync tubes when pushing in the enricher so it seems Im in for a valve adjustment before I can everything synced up proper. :doh:

Attachments

• just got her.jpg
    just got her.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 306
  • fender2.jpg
    fender2.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 604
  • cut.jpg
    cut.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 309
  • bars.jpg
    bars.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 559
  • fender3.jpg
    fender3.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 296
  • fender.jpg
    fender.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 319
  • sync 3.jpg
    sync 3.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 601
  • sync 2.jpg
    sync 2.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 293
  • sync.jpg
    sync.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:
agreed! Does anyone know if ATF fluid is better? The 2 stroke oil i have in there is a bit jumpy, which makes it hard to get them level.

Nope, it doesnt matter, If you look at my thread, I have my manometer attached, and its just as jumpy, I used atf. The reason to use atf or 2 stroke, is that if it gets sucked into the engine, that it will not be detrimental to the engine. ATF just happens to be red, and easier to see. If it gets sucked in, just wipe off the plugs, and your ready to try again.

http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13322
Post 15, has my example, about a minute in, then I come back again, and rev it. Obvoiously, its was not centered then.

i was syncing without the petcock on prime and the bike kept dying gonna on me. Will do it right tonight. I saw small flames coming up the sync tubes when closing the choke which makes me think the valves are out?

If it gets sucked in, just wipe off the plugs, and your ready to try again.

Although it's smoky as hell and it doesn't smell very good.

If you can track down the rubber bungs to make a bottle manometer you might find it easier to get a dead read on the relative levels because the volume of fluid means it won't jump around as quickly. I got bungs from a winemaking shop. They had them with a single hole just the right size for 5/8" fuel line and I drilled smaller holes for the lines from the carb holder vacuum nipples.

im not too worried about the fluid getting sucked up as these have been bench synced pretty well and the fluid is moving all that much... i do like the bottle style ones tho

When you sync the carbs the bike should be at an idle. Also never rev it when you do it.

If fire is coming back threw the carbs the intake valves are not sealing or are out of adjustment. I would also make sure you timing is set correctly.

Nothing to see on my video, move along, these wasn't the right video for balancing carbs, i
am such a bad XS owner :D :rolleyes:

Seems the oil leaks have stopped!!! My bike doesn't like taking turns on the road, where a side road lines up double, to get onto the interstate, while inching forward to the stop light, then when it was my turn to go, I killed it, Then it didn't want to start.:wtf:

I knew there is nothing wrong, so I wait 3 to 5 minutes, tried it again, :rock:then Zoommed home!

synced and running smooth. went for a quick cruise during halftime of the games today.

quick shot of the xs idling. sorry about the portrait mode... :banghead:

Good job! Looks good, (can't hear it, I am work :( ) At least you didn't get anyone sea sick, while watching your video ;)

been cruising the past few nights around town after work. It idles strong, can rev it all day in neutral, however, the bike seems to run poorly when I am taking off out of 1st gear, its only for a second or too and snaps out of it... i think i may have fouled a plug making it run on one side momentarily??? New plugs in the mail

both were right around 27mm the last time i had them off. Worth taking a peak, its so much easier taking the carbs off with these flexible uni filters vs the rigid emgo ones

I would try 25 or 26mm. How do your plugs look. A good oiled set of uni's will make the bike run richer than a set of emgo pods as they are actually filtering the air. :laugh:

I will take a look this weekend after a bit more miles. It does feel a bit like its drowning starting in first.

getting more and more miles on it:D

Still have some more tuning a head of me. I suspect its a lean since it runs much better as it heats up. After more spirited rides the exhaust on the left side starts turn a bit blue as u can see in the photo.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 293
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 312
You may want to raise the needles up a notch and go up one on the mains.

Back