She lives again

Scorpio1963

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
After a month or more of sitting idle and having some set backs,welded exhaust ,new mufflers (24" harley) a broken banjo bolt for the fuel line it took a bit but I got her fired up.Made some adjustments I know I need to balance the carbs still but I took it for ride.Felt good to ride again.Not sure if my valve adjustment is on or not but I`ll be making a sound clip shortly.

Victory is shiort lived.My valve adjustment is way off.Back to work on it tomorrow and see if I can get it right.:banghead:Oh another thing I think Im getting some baffles or quieter mufflers these harley mufflers are way too loud.:yikes:

They sure do! Steel wool, even the heavy stuff, can burn up and fly out the back in a short ride. The stainless steel pot scrubbers are usually made from just a few long ribbons of thicker metal all coiled up. They last!

Code:
Pork Chop Pot scourers last longer than steel wool
Unless I can go to a store and buy them in bulk this idea isnt feasable,I also would like to hear a sound clip of this done to someones exhaust so I know what it sounds like.
At this point Im think baffles would be a better long lasting fix to my loud obnoxious pipes.

I will sell them to you if you want to find out?Basical they are just open pipes with turnouts about 3" around.Not want I want.I1ll be taking pics and putting them in the classifieds real soon and my local Craigslist.

So finaly some major progress shes living and breathing again hopefully for good this time.Valve lash is good and the shes running halfway decent.Not perefection like want I want yet but close.I just got back making a 5 mile to test it out.Man it feels good to ride again.Going to check my plugs here in a few and see how the color is.:bike:

Doesnt that stuff burn?As for the loud pipes Im just going to tolerate till pay day then Im getting some other mufflers.Also from what I read in the how to section if this isnt done correctly you can build up excessive heat inside the engine.You need to have a small pipe in the middle so the exhaust can escape.

I have read about people packing with fiberglass. I assumed this is what they talk about.
Manifold pressure is important to the overall performance of the engine. so proper breathing is essential.
I rode a Harley xlc1200 sportster for about a year and kept it stock because the MAP sensor would have to be readjusted or replaced if any component in intake or exhaust were altered. Manifold Appied Pressure or MAP is adjusted on older bikes by ear and a good sense of what causes what in the overall picture.
Mine has 38mm carbs and shorter exhaust, so when I get it running, I will have to balance everything.And since the xs has a manifold pressure operated fuel delivery from the tank, it will be extra critical.

Code:
Pork Chop Pot scourers last longer than steel wool
Unless I can go to a store and buy them in bulk this idea isnt feasable,I also would like to hear a sound clip of this done to someones exhaust so I know what it sounds like.
At this point Im think baffles would be a better long lasting fix to my loud obnoxious pipes.

Go to your closest dollar store with $5 in your pocket. We get 4 scrubbers in a pack for $1 so you should be able to do the same.

A sound clip of someone else's mufflers won't help you...

I know my last responce was kinda vague but Im going to opt to stay away from this type of sound damping.From what I read this is only to be done as a temporary measure.Even if done correctly and left permantly theres more than just packing the mufflers with sound damping material.You have to drill a hole through your pipes and make round plate to cover the end of the exhaust so that this material stays inside the pipes.I was looking at some online stores that sell parts for our bikes.They sell a glass pac $15 that is meant to quiet exhaust.

Back