shock shrouds

cturek

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Anybody know how to remove the shrouds that cover the upper section of the shock springs. I like the looks of the spring that goes all the way up to the upper spring retainer. The best I could find was that you compress the spring but it didn't say how the shroud is removed. Does the shroud have to be cut off?

I cut off the first one on some bad ones someone sent me. Used a dremel and then broke the last bit off with fatigue. Once off I saw there is a nut. Hold on to the nut and unscrew the top of the shock. So long story is to compress the shock and pull the shroud down. Hold the nut and pull the top off.

Damn that sounded nasty if you were inclined to think like a sex starved individual...

Ummm...I usually think of myself as such...but even I didnt pick up on that until you mentioned it...maybe theres hope fo me yet...that or you are REALLY twisted!LOL

Member niko posted some pics on his blog.
http://weepateam.blogspot.com/2010/12/amortisseurs.html

P1020366.JPG

is that what you were looking for?

I see now, I made a tool (but without the wood) just undo the nut down and the top eye unscrews from the rod. the cover will come off when you release the clamp.
drewps

A picture is worth a thousand words. We have quite a knowledgeable group getting started here!

Thanks you guys.

Yes. My 80 has them removed. When you put them back together make sure to use a little bit of blue locktite on the bolt and screw it on tight.

Back