Should I change my piston rings?

nwvtskiboy

Strewn about the garage
Reaction score
I have an '83 Maxim (DOHC, 13,000 miles) with a leaking head gasket. I have the head off to replace that gasket and I'm thinking while its apart, I should replace the piston rings, but I don't know if its really necessary. I got the bike last year as a project, and haven't run it yet so I don't know what lurks within, but I know it was running some months before I bought it, PO was going to make a café racer, but got other projects instead so he gave it to me.

When I drained the oil, it ran out like water and smelled of gasoline, so I'm thinking there might be a problem with the rings. Or maybe PO just put in really thin oil? I'm not too sure how to go about changing them (I've never changed rings before and just started researching it) but it seems the biggest hurdle at this point is actually obtaining the correct new rings. I do have access to a cylinder hone. What is a good source for replacement rings? I do not know if the cylinders have ever been honed or bored. I'd rather not remove the cylinders if I can't get the replacement parts or if I don't even have to.

At this point, I'm leaning towards leaving the cylinders as is and just putting it back together. I know it was running not too long ago, so in theory I should be able to get it going without too much extra work. If replacement rings can be found easily, then I'll do it.

Probably no need to replace the rings - and that is good as they are hard to come by these days. Gasoline in the oil is a common issue related to the petcock and carb floats. Use the search function and find more info than you could ever desire. :)

Sounds like it's too late for a compression test on the cylinders.
A good next-step would be measuring the ring end-gap.
Get the cylinder jugs off. Take the piston rings off the pistons (mark them so you don't mix them up), slide them into the cylinders.
Set them parallel to the top of the cylinders about 1/3 of the way down.
Measure the gap formed between the two ends with feeler gauges.
I believe the allowable end-gap range is .15-.35mm.

Any higher than that and they should be replaced.

Do a leak down test if you're really concerned about the compression and rings. Also if there are signs of blow-by on the piston skirts, that usually is a tell tale sign of new rings or cylinder bore. I would say Hone the cylinder and replace the rings, just my $.02

Back