Sidecar?! Also petcock connections, model identification

johnpaulmoore

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

I acquired a 1980 XS400, and its been fun restoring it based on many of the forum posts here. Its been real helpful.

I have three questions:

1) The fuel petcock has two connections. I learned this is because of the vacuum needed for the ON position to work. The problem is I don't know what connects to this. There is one nozzle that points up, and one that points down. The one that points down I'm assuming connects to the carb. There was nothing connected to the one that points up. There are also two nozzles that point up from the carb holder boots. One is capped off and the other is connected to a tube that doesn't connect to anything else. I just assumed this was a breather tube. Does this actually connect to the petcock to provide the vacuum?

2) I know that I have a 1980 XS400 Special II, but I don't know which model it is when looking for parts. How do I know if its an XS400 D/G/J/2E? How do I find this out? Here is a picture I've found on the internet of a bike exactly like mine:

000_0365.jpg

3) There are some home-made mounts on one side of the bike that lead me to believe that there was once a sidecar for this!!! Which I get a little too excited about. Anyone heard of this before?

Thanks!!

Hey all!

1) The fuel petcock has two connections. I learned this is because of the vacuum needed for the ON position to work. The problem is I don't know what connects to this. There is one nozzle that points up, and one that points down. The one that points down I'm assuming connects to the carb. There was nothing connected to the one that points up. There are also two nozzles that point up from the carb holder boots. One is capped off and the other is connected to a tube that doesn't connect to anything else. I just assumed this was a breather tube. Does this actually connect to the petcock to provide the vacuum?

Yes, the tube from the intake manifold is for vacuum. It better not breathe, or the bike won't run right. Connect that to the upwards pointing tube on the petcock.

Welcome to the site!

Sidecar? I don't see any mounts on the right and almost all sidecars you see are on the right.

Back