Single spark. Then nothing.

Steve B

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Just bought a basket case 1980 XS400 SG. Electronic ignition. PO was attempting to make it into a cafe racer. . I've completely rewired it using the original harness and EVERYTHING works.....except.....when turning it over on the starter motor, I get just ONE spark on the right plug only, and then nothing. Pause and hit the starter button again, and the same thing. One spark, then nix. Tried all the usual. Replaced coils, leads and plugs with items I know are good. Battery was fully charged overnight. Any thoughts?

It definitely sounds like you have an issue with the TCI box. Repair can be attempted, if you have some experience with soldering electronic circuit boards. But first, go through and make sure all of the TCI electrical connector contacts are shiny and clean and try things again.

If you don't want to try and fix your TCI, start looking for a replacement one on the marketplaces. There are two different "styles" - the older board from the 1980 bikes and a simplified board that was used in the 1981 and 1982 SOHC bikes. Either type of box will work as a replacement as they have the same connections and functionally are the same.

If you want to try and fix the TCI you have, I have some thoughts on what you should do, and I know others who contribute here have ideas as well. I have been preparing for the day I might have to do this to my TCI. We can point you to some old threads to read and pass on whatever info we have on the subject.

One question - is your TCI one that you got with the bike or did you get it to go with your "new" harness?

It definitely sounds like you have an issue with the TCI box. Repair can be attempted, if you have some experience with soldering electronic circuit boards. But first, go through and make sure all of the TCI electrical connector contacts are shiny and clean and try things again.

If you don't want to try and fix your TCI, start looking for a replacement one on the marketplaces. There are two different "styles" - the older board from the 1980 bikes and a simplified board that was used in the 1981 and 1982 SOHC bikes. Either type of box will work as a replacement as they have the same connections and functionally are the same.

If you want to try and fix the TCI you have, I have some thoughts on what you should do, and I know others who contribute here have ideas as well. I have been preparing for the day I might have to do this to my TCI. We can point you to some old threads to read and pass on whatever info we have on the subject.

One question - is your TCI one that you got with the bike or did you get it to go with your "new" harness?
Thanks. My thinking exactly. The TCI box is original. I've now purchased a same model replacement box as I'm not gonna waste time and effort trying to repair existing unit. Harness is the original and, as everything else electrical is working perfectly, I don't anticipate the issue being a problem with broken wires. New box arriving tomorrow........

Harness is the original and, as everything else electrical is working perfectly, I don't anticipate the issue being a problem with broken wires. New box arriving tomorrow........

Sounds like a solid plan. Fingers are crossed here hoping the new box is a good one. Please let us know how things shake out once you get to try the new TCI. Also, don't toss the old one, someone may need that to fix, eventually.

Sounds like a solid plan. Fingers are crossed here hoping the new box is a good one. Please let us know how things shake out once you get to try the new TCI. Also, don't toss the old one, someone may need that to fix, eventually.

Fitted the new TCi box. No change.... have now removed the head and got access to the electronics around rotor. Looks to me like no contact on the 9oclock contact....and only just contact on the 12 o'clock. Guessing this could be the issue. I've now checked and or replaced all the other components. So now looking for a replacement to this......
20230820_152316.jpg

It's not supposed to make contact, just pass by very close so as to induce a magnetic pulse. Maybe try loosening the pickup and shifting it to even up the gap between both pickup points?

Thanks. Yes, sorry. I didn't word that very clearly. . Cleaned it up and positioned it correctly. And I have spark! . Why is it always the last thing you check that is the problem
! ‍♂️

Back