Smoke Show

The only thing that comes to mind is that someone may have been trying to bypass the starter interlock and/or the side stand safety switch (if so equipped). But that is just a guess.

Moving the wires in the connector is relativly easy. The female terminals can be released by inserting a tiny flat blade screwdriver into the notch on the opening to depress their retaining tab. Then the wire can be gently pulled on and the terminal will pull out of the connector. Make sure the retaining tab hasn't been bent out of shape before re-inserting in the correct spot of the connector. If it has, just bend it out a bit.

It can be difficult trying to figure out why people do the things they do with wiring...

Electrical is not my forté, I did have power going through the system with this connection. Could that have caused any permanent damage?

Mine are the same as yours mate. Good that you noticed it as a possible clue, but I'd look to your stator for the source of the smoke if that's where you saw it coming from.

I can't be sure because wiring only interested me long enough to get my bike running again, but the flip might be due to them being put on/assembled by different members of the assembly team. if so, then the polarity (wire color) isn't what matters so much as the thing being firmly connected. IE, there simply needs to be an out and an in.

Mine are the same as yours mate. Good that you noticed it as a possible clue, but I'd look to your stator for the source of the smoke if that's where you saw it coming from.

I can't be sure because wiring only interested me long enough to get my bike running again, but the flip might be due to them being put on/assembled by different members of the assembly team. if so, then the polarity (wire color) isn't what matters so much as the thing being firmly connected. IE, there simply needs to be an out and an in.

Okay so we're 2 for 2 on the present connector setup being correct. I will put that to rest and focus on all the other input you guys have provided. Always appreciated.

yeah, I have had a few smoking bike moments myself on the hike up learning curve mountain.

I can't help but wonder who Dave confused you for. Decaf for dave from now on XD

Actually, I'd like some caffeine! I've been very sick with a nasty case of the flu since Sunday night and haven't been able to keep water in my stomach for more than a few minutes. Coffee, tea or soda hasn't even been a consideration. Heck, I'm about ready to make a pact with the devil for just one cigarette and coffee!

Honestly, I'd settle for the fever going away and a good nights sleep. At least then I would be back in my right frame of mind and not be abusing people I've never met...

FYI neither my regulator nor my rectifier are bolted to anything that could act as a ground and they both work fine.

I don't think the rectifier needs a ground; it's just a set of diodes, right?

The stock regulator mounts have rubber bushings that prevent any contact with a bolt passing through.

just checked mine this morning, they're reversed at the connector as well. They're just trigger wires, so no harm having them that way.
What I would like to know is how da puck did you get your wiring/connectors so clean:yikes: I had to remove a lot of grime just to see the colors of the wires on mine:doh: Guess I'll be attacking that before the riding season starts:D

... how da
hockey-puck-maneuver-smiley-emoticon.gif
9k=
did you get your wiring/connectors so clean:yikes: I had to remove a lot of grime just to see the colors of the wires on mine:doh: Guess I'll be attacking that before the riding season starts:D
Methinks all those gravel roads through the Hills of Hockley, Halton & Caledon - not to mention the one over the Mono Cliff :yikes: - are catching up on you .... :laugh:

So I pulled the stator out last night to get a better look at what was going on, and found that it was actually my oil pressure switch that was lighting up like the 4th of July. So, that's a problem independent of my lack of spark.

I tested continuity through the system, and everything seems to be in order. The only thing that was off is my coils. I'm getting 4ohms of resistance through the primary, which is good, but 14 and change rather than 9.5 through the secondary. Can this increase in secondary resistance from the coils cause a lack of power to the points? I'm not sure what happened to the coils, as I was getting spark before. I must've left the ignition on and fried it. Don't remember doing so, but it's the only explanation I can think of.

I have a box of used, working coils outside (6 or more lol). i will go take a quick reading and see what I get.

Blast, the 9v battery in my multimeter is dead and I do not have a spare. If you can wait until this evening I should have a replacement and I can take the readings.

I checked again and I have 6 oem coils, 2 that literally just came off a working bike I am rebuilding (74 honda cb360 which uses the exact same coils). I also have a pair of aftermarket ones on my xs I can measure.

Thinking about it, it may not be a bad idea to upgrade the coils from the OEM style anyway. What are you running on your XS and would you recommend them? Maybe Dyna Coils?

Last edited:
I didn't spend that much! Dyna coils are expensive. I bought the cheaper ones from Mikesxs; they were something like $26 each. I also replaced the points and condenser. Have you thought about replacing your condenser? I believe I read that there was no way to test it.

OH, also. After I painted my frame my bike wouldn't run. It turned out that the condenser grounds through the frame. I had to scrape off some paint so it would make a good ground.

I didn't spend that much! Dyna coils are expensive. I bought the cheaper ones from Mikesxs; they were something like $26 each. I also replaced the points and condenser. Have you thought about replacing your condenser? I believe I read that there was no way to test it.

OH, also. After I painted my frame my bike wouldn't run. It turned out that the condenser grounds through the frame. I had to scrape off some paint so it would make a good ground.

Mikexs's canadian brother is unfortunately out of the OEM style coils. I didn't know that the condenser grounded through the frame. Perhaps that is causing me issues too. I'll see what I can do about getting the coils elsewhere, along with a new condenser, because they are cheap. Thanks a lot for all the advice!

Back