Smoke Show

Partsnmore listed some for sale if I recall correctly; you could check to see if they are in stock.

If you don't want to scrape paint yet you can attach a loop and wire ground to the screw that holds the condenser on; just attach it to another ground so you can test it.

The readings are in. These were performed with the spark plug cap REMOVED at 1.5 degrees C. From what I understand colder temperatures should lower resistance.

Known working coils tested at 8,310 ohms and 8,350 ohms.

The caps should add 5,000 ohms if I recall correctly and more if they are old and worn.

It is possible your caps also need to be replaced.

Also, you don't happen to be running a resistor type spark plug are you?

BC thanks for suggesting what I was about to add, the caps can and do go bad. I had mine go out and was fully stumped until I watched a youtube vid suggesting that I replace the wires/caps. Did so, problem solved.

you don't need the resistor caps, just replace both and you'll be fine.

I was taking the reading with the caps off, so I've ordered new coils, condenser, wires, caps and points just to put my mind at ease. Hopefully the problem will have been solved somewhere in there. Thanks a lot guys! I'll be back if things are still sour.

I don't blame you; I did the same thing last season. I replaced the entire ignition system. It really helps narrow things down when you're troubleshooting!

Keep in mind that the resistor caps and spark plugs serve a dual purpose. They reduce electrical interference and they produce a hotter spark.

If the resistance of the secondary circuit is too high, the spark will find the easiest path, which may not be firing the plug. It is possible to burn out the coils if the resistance is very high. If the resistance is too low, the spark will be weak.

I think we've all had the "replace the entire electrical system" week.

The condenser is never bad. DanMC states in 30 plus years of wrenching he's never seen a dead condenser.

Coils very rarely go bad.

Wires however, DO go bad, and so do Caps/resistor caps. I'd be surprised if this didn't turn out to be your issue.

So it was one of your wires in your stator case/sprocket housing that shorted causing the smoke? the neutral indicator or the oil indicator wire?

In my opinion, get points if your bike needs them. Timing on that 76 is a huge part in it's performance.

Also, verify your fuses are functioning properly. It's odd that you have no spark. You can take the coils to a moto shop for a free test usually. You can also do this thing with a battery and jumpering the wires and breaking the connection and seeing a spark but I totally forget how the hell its done and I can't find the link.

I think we've all had the "replace the entire electrical system" week.

The condenser is never bad. DanMC states in 30 plus years of wrenching he's never seen a dead condenser.

Wires however, DO go bad, and so do Caps/resistor caps. I'd be surprised if this didn't turn out to be your issue.

So it was one of your wires in your stator case/sprocket housing that shorted causing the smoke? the neutral indicator or the oil indicator wire?

It was in fact the oil pressure sensor. Specifically the connection itself that was smoking. I imagine this was a separate issue to my sudden lack of spark. I'm not sure if I fried the sensor or if it was just being a bit "dramatic." haha...

I know what you're saying about changing the components not necessarily being of any benefit to this issue. I do however feel more comfortable starting with new components just to put any doubt there to rest. I will check and double check connections and wires in the mean time, as I have at least a week before those goodies show up.

I have to disagree. Very strongly in fact. And if it means anything, I've been twisting wrenches for over 30 years, on everything from weed wackers to 747's. I'm a certified automotive technician and aircraft technician. And for electronics I have a couple certificates for high end digital print engines. I have some education and experience... :)

Condensers fail all the time. That is a statement of fact. If the points are pitted or are sparking, the condenser is bad. This is basic spark ignition theory. DanMC's opinion is meaningless or misquoted. :doh:

Ignition coils also fail on a regular basis. Regular, as in "all the time".

Just because we don't have the equipment to FULLY test these components, do not assume they can't be faulty when tested with a multimeter. And don't assume that the new parts are good either. Test it and prove to yourself that it is operating as designed.

Posted via Mobile

Back