So is the DOHC bike actually rare?

markjs

XS400 owner, bike lover
Reaction score
So this seems to think

Gutless but simple motor combined with quick rust cycle parts. Crankshaft and gearbox problems after 30k when the head gasket often blows, motors could do 40k when they weren't worth trying to fix. Chronic starting hassles, usually from a combination of hard to trace problems (killswitch, carbs, rotted wiring, dying ignition, etc) Rare DOHC, spine frame XS400.

Not very flattering about our bikes either.

I haven't had any problems with mine due to design flaws; it was all due to having lived outside before I owned it or simply being neglected. It is possible these motors are susceptible to failure when neglected, however. I just really haven't seen any mechanical failure on here due to flaws in the design. It's possible there have been some, but it certainly isn't common.

It is also funny how they're speaking in general about these motors with 30,000 or 40,000 miles on them. Finding small bikes like these with 20,000 or more miles is rare, so I don't know how they're able to make such generalizations.

Calling an SOHC 400cc parallel twin gutless is silly; they're obviously biased for whatever reason. Of course it isn't powerful, but it is competitive in its own category.

Yours is a DOHC too? I get the feeling most of the "review" is referring to the SOHC models. I've seen plenty of CB360Ts with 30K or more that still ran OK maybe a little smoke not too bad, but the last one I had like that did eventually drop a valve. I've seen quite a number of Suzuki GS450s with a lot of miles on them and still running OK, plus the Honda 400-450 engine used in the Hawk, Nighthawk, CM400, and Rebels has some good lasting power if well cared for.

My DOHC is anything but gutless! I can get it damn close to 100 and I am a big dude, not tall but I could and will be losing a few pounds (testosterone treatment can work wonders for a slow metabolism, once the doctor starts listening to you and orders the right tests). I do ahve to lean in against the tank but she's got a tight motor.

That review was written by someone who had an issue with their bike, that they probably caused, and wanted to blame the bike, their local dealer, and Yamaha for it...

Posted via Mobile

While my bike isnt a speed demon for 398cc`s she has plenty of power.I would have to say by design the only flaw is the transmission.The lack of rpm spread between 5th and 6th gear.Changing the sprockets may fix that.

I wouldnt say that the dohc is rare. I have seen at least 5 on my local classifieds website in the past few months. It is rare to find one in great near-mint condition, but they are definitely out there.

As far as power goes they dont have much but it is enough. Ya they might do 100 but not much more. Most bikes made in this day and age have bigger motors which usually = more horse power, so compared to a trail 90 hell ya!!! they have a bunch of power, but compared to a new 1200cc bike they are fairly gutless. With that being said, for me this bike is not about the power. It is about the way it rides and how it feels. I havent ridden mine much (just finished the build) but the little bit that I have ridden it was amazing. I could feel the bike urging forward wanting to be ridden. I feel like the riding almost becomes creative.

On big bikes for me the ride is less involved, and not as much fun. Just kinda feels like lugging along on a buffalo(great for a long highway trip). Thats just my opinion though. :bike:

I have to agree ksqrly, I don't like a bike bigger than a 750. I'd have to say my all time favorite two bikes I have owned were an '82 KZ750, and number one was my 82 Maxim XJ750. Man I loved that bike; shaft drive smoothness and drop your gust behind you in second gear power all in one bike!

Mine is an SOHC by the way. I can't really compare mine to stock because I have done so much weight reduction.

I'll do a top speed run next week when my new bars come in.

Old Japanese bikes are for people who know how to work on them. If you're clueless you're going to have a hard time. If you don't mind a little fiddling here or there they're great. I for one enjoy them quite a bit. My Yamaha is so much cooler than any other bike I've owned and gets 10 times the attention. No one ever really comes over to ask questions about my modern sport bikes.

Old Japanese bikes are for people who know how to work on them. If you're clueless you're going to have a hard time. If you don't mind a little fiddling here or there they're great. I for one enjoy them quite a bit. My Yamaha is so much cooler than any other bike I've owned and gets 10 times the attention. No one ever really comes over to ask questions about my modern sport bikes.

Another great point. They are a blast to work on. This is my first build and it has been great to learn on one of these bikes.

and as long as we are talking about why these bikes kick ass. I just want to add that we have a pretty bad ass forum community that has been very helpful.:thumbsup:

I can definitely agree with the fact that these DOHC's, just like any XS, are awesome bikes which will never fail you as long as you take some care for them. And if even I can do it, anyone can really. :)

And thats mostly due to the great help from here on the forum ;)

Working on my xs and the info I have learned from this site has open a brand new world for me.I wish I had the enthusasim to work on my Jimmy as I do for working on bike.

This is my first bike. I'm a car guy that's just learning 2 wheels lol. More different than you'd think. Going from sensors to a lack thereof.

Can your guys' bikes pull the front wheel up at all? Mine's just been rebuilt. do'nt know if it was down on power before but it never could.

Havent tryed pulling the front wheel up but I get some good burnout take offs especialy in mud LOL.Getting back on track I would say the DOHC is not rare.

So this seems to think
Not very flattering about our bikes either.
This site is notorious for inaccuracy and for not differentiating among models. The picture is of a sohc as is the review - it speaks of the 392 cc engine. The dohc is 399 cc.
I think the dohc is rarer in terms of absolute numbers since it was only sold in N.America for 2-3 yrs (when the style was going out of fashion), whereas the sohc sold for more years earlier - when they were very much in fashion.

Here's a fun site where the "reviewer" says some nice things about the dohc's desireability and performance:

This is my first bike. I'm a car guy that's just learning 2 wheels lol. More different than you'd think. Going from sensors to a lack thereof.

Can your guys' bikes pull the front wheel up at all? Mine's just been rebuilt. do'nt know if it was down on power before but it never could.

Do you mean power wheelie? No, an xs400 cannot power wheelie unless you're built like a 10-year-old girl. You can, however, clutch up a wheelie on pretty much any motorcycle save for some under-powered, extremely heavy ones.

Yeah I'm sure you can dump the clutch and wheelie. I just haven't worked up the courage to destroy my clutch like that lol

Back