Solenoid click, no motor engagement

OldDirtyHippy

1982 XS400J DOHC - 'Davey'
Reaction score
Just got back from a ride, solenoid now just clicks once when I press the button but there is nothing coming from the starter motor. I bridged the solenoid to zero effect. Not sure what else to try besides perhaps replacing the solenoid

You can try putting a jumper ground wire to the starter body while jumping the solenoid posts too. Maybe the motor got loose or some corrosion on the mating surface is restricting the ground.

I usually just use a screwdriver across the big lugs.
Ahhh yeah I already tried that, didn't do anything. I'm thinking it's either the solenoid (since it's a singular click on each ign button press and not repetitive clicking) or it's the wire/connection between solenoid and starter motor. My thought is to order a motor rebuild and new solenoid. Would any solenoid with 2 poles and two wires work?

I suspect your starter motor needs a rebuild or has a bad ground as tstidham suggested. Solenoid sounds like it is fine.
Where is the ground connected for the starter motor? Is it internal? I ordered a starter motor rebuild from fortnine but I'm open to ideas in the meantime. Overall I love this bike, this is the first problem I've had besides needing a trans rebuild near 100,000km, everything was fucked from just time

100,000km! Impressive. Yes the starter is grounded by being bolted to the engine, which should be grounded to the battery or frame to battery. Do you have a multimeter?

Check for continuity from the starter housing to the negative post on the battery terminal to make sure you have a ground path. I would physically check your ground cables as well, but I suspect you just need a new starter or to rebuild the starter if possible. I have revived starters by pulling them apart and cleaning them out but the fix never lasts long.

Check for continuity from the starter housing to the negative post on the battery terminal to make sure you have a ground path. I would physically check your ground cables as well, but I suspect you just need a new starter or to rebuild the starter if possible. I have revived starters by pulling them apart and cleaning them out but the fix never lasts long.
Odd question, would a vstar 1100 starter motor work? I've got 2 that work no problem and they do look to be about right but I'm dumb as hell about the finer inner workings. I'm a machinist so I'm confident fabricating, still learning the electrical-mechanical side of things

I doubt they would have the same shaft diameter and spline count needed or mounting bolt locations. But maybe the brushes could be scavenged from them or something. Parts houses are pretty good with interchange information and they'd list other models if they were compatible.

Update:
Starter motor started working randomly, then stopped again. The right cylinder also didn't want to fire when i got it to start. Only starts if I really back out the idle screw and full choke. Wouldn't hold idle.

Only starts if I really back out the idle screw and full choke. Wouldn't hold idle.
I think that is your carbs way of whispering, "Clean me."

Seriously, It sounds like the pilot jet and the enrichment circuit passages could use a cleaning and blow through to verify they pass gas (sorry, it is Friday and I couldn't resist).

I think that is your carbs way of whispering, "Clean me."

Seriously, It sounds like the pilot jet and the enrichment circuit passages could use a cleaning and blow through to verify they pass gas (sorry, it is Friday and I couldn't resist).
Took a look and they're crystal clear, probably a fucky boot so I'll lather em both in a mix of JB and rtv

Back