Something doesn't seem to look right here.

Hinzbilly54

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I popped off what i believe to be the oil fill cap and looked inside and it seemed empty. Is it suppose to look like this or what?

Attachments

• photo (1).jpg
    photo (1).jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 205
Does your bike have a site glass or a dipstick? Is it sitting on the side stand? It's only a little over 2 quarts and if it's leaned, that would look about right.

I found the site glass and I can't tell if anything is in there. I think the oil is so low it's below the glass.

It could be low or your sight glass could be dirty making it hard to see. Either way don't take the chance. change the oil and filter. Once you drain the oil and start re-filling you should be able to watch the sight glass for the oil level to appear. Note that the bike has to be sitting level for the reading to be accurate. At least once you drain the system you can use the bike spec for oil volume to get the level close. I had a similar problem as my bike sat for some time before I got it. I had to run some clean oil through in order to clear up the inside surface of the sight glass. Crystal clear now.

I found the site glass and I can't tell if anything is in there. I think the oil is so low it's below the glass.
Make sure you do your final level check before starting the bike by having the bike on the centre stand NOT the side stand.
On the side-stand, it will show no oil. If you fill it to where you can see oil while it's on the side-stand in error, you will overfill by a considerable amount.

Pull out the drain bolt at the bottom, and drain the oil into a bucket or something. Sounds like your bike is dangerously out of oil and you shouldn't start it anymore before you've fixed that.

So get yourself some fresh oil, and if you can a new oil filter while you're at it. Drain the oil and see how much comes out, and fill her up again :) oil change is one of the first things to do when you get a new bike anyways

Pull out the drain bolt at the bottom, and drain the oil into a bucket or something. Sounds like your bike is dangerously out of oil and you shouldn't start it anymore before you've fixed that.

So get yourself some fresh oil, and if you can a new oil filter while you're at it. Drain the oil and see how much comes out, and fill her up again :) oil change is one of the first things to do when you get a new bike anyways

+1.

Fresh oil is always a good start.

Make sure it's motorcycle oil (regular car oil will make your clutch slip). Use 20W-50 for summer.

The capacity should be cast into the case somewhere near the oil filler. I know for a SOHC it's 2000 cc, can't imagine it's different for a DOHC. That is more or less 2 quarts (a quart is 946 ml).

Or, you could make do with diesel oil like Rotella. Diesel oils don't have the same friction modifiers as gas engine oils. Still, motorcycle-specific oil is better. Our local Walmart sells Valvoline MC oil.

Is the Shell Rotella T5 ok? The manual recommends 10-W40 and that's what the T5 is.
NO. It doesn't have the MA rating on the container for motorcycle wet clutches. Neither does Rotella 3. It is "Rotella Triple" that has this rating.

In summer, 15w-40 won't matter as the 40 rating is what you care about when the engine is warm. If you have a weak battery, you may not be able to turn the engine over on a cold morning in the late fall with 15 cold weight. That's where 10 will be better.
But now that summer might be here at last, you should probably go with what the manual for the sohc says and use 20w-50. The 50 will be better when the engine is fully warmed up on a day where the temperature is over 75 (I think).
Also, the manual is a free download at the top of the GARAGE page on here. The manual will also tell you how many US quarts or Canadian litres you need.

Don't just fill it up until you see oil in the glass without starting it and running it for a minute, then looking in the glass again. Quite a bit of oil disappears into the filter chamber and you need to top it up a 2nd time after running to be sure of your amount.

As an added note if you over fill your likely to blow a seal os even a valve cover gasket and your bike will burn oil.I have also found that on a sohc thats bone dry it take about 3.1/2 quarts of oil.

Back