Something stupid I did today...

kevingkruse

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
So I took off my engine covers to polish them and upon putting the clutch cover off, the kickstart assembly came out, and I put it back in wrong, it wouldn't spring back, so I took the cover off and put the assembly back in and was wondering if I did it right, so with the cover off (which is what I caused this problem) I put the kick lever on and kicked it to see if it would spring back, and it broke the casting in the engine where the kickstart assembly axle goes in! I was in a hastey moment... so after using a little grabbing tool, I finally got the 3 little peices that broke off. However, luckily, the assembly still sits in the broken hole and the gear kinda holds it, as well as the cover that I should of put back on before I tried kicking it. So if anyone decides to try and kick it without the cover on, don't... but your probably thinking, well no crap idiot! Just thought I would share that with you. I'm just bummed I have a damaged engine now.

I did the same thing. The crack wasn't bad, so I was able to take off the actual kick starter kicker lever, and then just go switch only. Then my wife stated, she wanted the kick starter. Soooo I did order a crankcase from eBay, that was the same serial number 3 digit started (4r4). I followed volcomskater77 how to split an engine, off the XS400 home page. and this year 2 months of putting it all together, I have been driving for over 2000 miles now! (and got Licensed.) when I was looking for local mechs, the locals, stated, just get a new motor. I did it my way, and was able to keep the engine serial number, and the continue match of the serial numbers! So good luck with what you chose to do.
Tobie

so I took the cover off and put the assembly back in and was wondering if I did it right, so with the cover off (which is what I caused this problem) I put the kick lever on and kicked it to see if it would spring back, and it broke the casting in the engine where the kickstart assembly axle goes in!

Yep, did it. I feel your pain :eek:

Ha, that's funny, I didn't think anyone else would of done that. My kickstarter still works though, I guess for whoever does the same thing I did, your kickstarter is still usable.

@226dark
Ya, that first picture is just how mine broke, and into 3 tiny peices, which I was lucky enough to fish out with the engine together. I was thinking about jbwelding them back in there but they didn't connect back together flush and I was worried if they would just break again and destroy my transmission, so I just put it all back together like that and haven't had any problems.

hate that sinking feeling when, if you'd stop and thought about it, would not have happened.

we all live and learn and you won't be the last.

Nope, I made it out of an xs400! Too bad I catch on fire every time I use it... ok, I think this thread has gone on long enough. So just to confirm, if anyone does what I did, you can still put the kickstart back in and it will work, I haven't had any problems, works fine. Ok bye.

Since yours broke into 3 pieces. I am going to say Don't use the kicker. Not till you repair it in one of 2 ways. Looks like 226Dark had the same break. If you have the Aluminum welding friend, I think your all set. If you can find a Crankcase from eBay, you could then do a bottom end rebuild. There are other threads here that I think will say the same thing. I had decided not to use the kicker till the journal got fixed. I suspect if you were to continue to use the kicker, parts that haven't broken off yet, or the kickstart shaft will project up high into the transmission gears, and then you will have chipped and Screwed transmission, Kicker, oil pump ...

Good luck

I think it'll be ok, the kicker shaft seems pretty stable with the cover on, and the gears meshing presses the shaft against the half broken journal keeping it intact so it seems ok. I'm just going to think positive and knock on wood every time I ride, lol.

If you live on a hill, you can always just roll downhill, and start it via gravity/clutching it.

Then if you work, ontop of a hill, you could be the kid that went to school up hill both ways ;)

Okay that went to work up hill

Last edited:
did the same thing earlier.. tried to turn it by hand without the cover on... realized later that it would have never happened had i put the cover on! so after reading your post wish i had been keeping up with you guys put been pre occupied the last 6 months.
so i said to myself i can cap it or buy a new case ... ORR as i work in an awesome family owned machine shop i could repair it for free... but that sh*t seemed like too much work.. so my plan in this(for now anyway).....

i'm gonna finish my build .. thread and cap the cover hole for kickstart. clean, oil and surran wrap my kickstart assembly and carry it as a back up in sadlebag/toolbox i'll be attaching to my nicely machined custom seat....

by the way i was just polishing the damn covers too haha .. just had to fuck with it!
:banghead:

Back