soon to be xs owner

airn

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody. Im new to the site. I have two guys at work selling bikes one is a 76 cb 550 and the other is a 79 xs400. The xs is mint. Been sitting since 84 has 4100 miles he want 700 for it. Is this a good price? Its going to need tires. The cb is rough and he wants 800 but comes with some extras. I tjink im going with the xs. I think these bikes are awesome. I love the mag wheels I dont know to much about their reliability though. Im try to read up on the sight so anyways just introducing myself and ill be seeing you guys around.I will post some pics when I get the bike.

Hello and welcome, buy both:D But yeah the xs does sound like a great buy if its mint! Other one sounds good too...

I'd go for it. Like Drewpy said, try to haggle for the price, and like xschris said the title is key. If it's cherry and you decide to chop it up good condition stock parts will bring more money to pay for other goodies. Or even if you leave it stock (yuck!) you'll have less resto work to do to bring it back. I paid 400 for mine, it was rough, but did run ok and needed work. But I'd buy it.

if you can swing it i would buy both.both bikes are reliable.fix one first and ride it and then work on the other while you are riding.i allways say 2 bikes are better than 1.but then again i own 6 bikes in various states of repair.:thumbsup:

Dont have the option. Wife says only one lol. With the xs only at 4100 miles and sitting since 84 I think thats going to be my choice.

You are a lucky bastard! Go for it now or you will not see it again. I would love to find me another deal but they are hard to find. Good luck.

Reaper,

what is up with leaving it stock? I plan to restore mine and leave it stock as much as I can. I think this gives me an excuse to get another one and redo the second one into a cafe racer or something else....

Just curious...

Yeah I havnt seen the bike yet so I dont knpw if its a good deal. The guy acts like its supposed to be brand new. Like he said the bikes been in storage since 84 which is a good thing and a bad thing I think.I see people posting on hear that they got thier bike for 2 3 hundred dollars and some guys get them for free. So I didnt know if I was over paying at 700. It does have a title by the way.

I also have a '79 and she sat since 1983 with only 2683 original miles on her.She basically needed a tune up and cleaning and I have been wringing the heck out of the little girl all over town.

Once tuned up and dialed in, these bikes are pretty reliable.The only problem I have had is idling issues but,FYI, its almost always the carbs. Almost every problem you will encounter... performance wise.... can be traced back to dirty carbs, improperly working carbs, improperly tuned crabs, improperly synched carbs...you get my drift.

The only thing I was going to say..... the CB550 (not sure about a '76 though) may get you on the Freeway more than the XS400.The xs on the backroads & around town ....a freakin blast:bike:. The xs on the freeway :yikes:...scary as hell, white knuckle session and probly not adviseable.

The price sounds good though (hagle still of course).I got mine fer a couple days work(apx.$500.00) I feel honestly I could sell her for triple or quadruple that as she is right now.Well,around So.Cal anyway.

Good luck!

P.S. With the xs you get to join this forum right?! Something to consider.

:cheers:

Airn, I bought mine for $750 pretty much bone stock minus moving the starter button to under the seat for some reason Wtf . It all depends on the market around you. Around me people try to get 1500 for rust buckets and half finished projects. If the bike is nearly as good as the information given then I think you got a great deal. I don't think there's anything wrong with being stock especially if it's in good condition, but of course everyone has different tastes and variety is the spice of life.
My point is that I think you scored bike time on the bike and my best advice is to get that bad boy on the road ASAP!

Once you see the bike and if it really is in "like new" condition, $700 is a great price!! Yes, you will have to go over it to make certain carbs are ok, replace tires & tubes, check out brakes, etc. but you will have a nearly new bike for the effort and a little money. My preference on a pristine bike is to restore it rather than cut it up but everyone is different. The XS400s are reliable and great fun. Like the previous poster said, great for lower speed roads, not great for sustained high speed riding, IMHO.

I got mine free but it was filthy, not running and looked like total crap and second second gear was stuffed. So you get what you pay for :laugh: But seriously, if a bike is in mint condition with very low k's there is no comparison to the 2 or 3 hundred dollar bikes or freebies. They are worth money when in very good, unmolested condition, if i came across one here for 700 in near mint condition i wouldnt hesitate. But I would pay a lot of money just for a set of wire wheels in any condition.

Buy em both. I grew up in a honda home so the cb is a good lil bike but the xs takes less tgo get on the road and is cheaper? Sounds like a simple call if you can't buy em both. Perhaps forward the info to here and one of us will take the other bike off their hands? *crosses fingers for luck*

Beware when someone says its in mint condition or perfect. I bought a seat off of ebay and it was all ripped up, far from "mint" thank god I only paid $30 for it:doh:

Back