spark plug boot inserts?

Gamma

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I pulled the spark plug boots from the spark plugs, and after pulling the boots, there was a threaded piece that fell out.

I'm posting this from my phone, so I don't know how to paste a picture with the phone.

I will try to upload a pic asap after getting to my pc.

Basically what I'm inquiring about is whether or not some spark plug boots have inserts to accept certain types of plugs. Oh yeah, the top of one spark plug had a threaded post on the top, which I guess mates to the threaded insert from the boot?

I've worked on plenty of cars, and have never seen threaded posts on top of a spark plug....

I pulled the spark plug boots from the spark plugs, and after pulling the boots, there was a threaded piece that fell out.

I'm posting this from my phone, so I don't know how to paste a picture with the phone.

I will try to upload a pic asap after getting to my pc.

Basically what I'm inquiring about is whether or not some spark plug boots have inserts to accept certain types of plugs. Oh yeah, the top of one spark plug had a threaded post on the top, which I guess mates to the threaded insert from the boot?

I've worked on plenty of cars, and have never seen threaded posts on top of a spark plug....

Welcome to the Forum! Folks like a little intro of yourself before you jump right in asking for help.

This may help: Some plug boots only accept the bare, threaded stud on top of the plug. Some boots only snap firmly onto the plug if that little cap is screwed onto the threaded stud. Not an uncommon point of confusion for folks not familiar with the diff. Sometimes you end up with two different types of boots if a PO has replaced a boot and it's a different type than the original.

Hi, and welcome.

I just did this with my '79. Both boots coming from the coils accepted ONLY the bare, threaded bit off of the plug, NOT the kind of plug with the screw on (wider) metal end.

If you have a plug with the screw on bit, try it both ways. It will either work or not...

Welcome to the Forum! Folks like a little intro of yourself before you jump right in asking for help.

This may help: Some plug boots only accept the bare, threaded stud on top of the plug. Some boots only snap firmly onto the plug if that little cap is screwed onto the threaded stud. Not an uncommon point of confusion for folks not familiar with the diff. Sometimes you end up with two different types of boots if a PO has replaced a boot and it's a different type than the original.

Something i learned recently thanks to you guys. Then saw also these pics on MikesXS
50-6501.jpg

23-3113.jpg

It probably wasn't meant to be threaded on, why was it in there and how did the boot or cap even stay securely on the plug i wonder?

I use a non-resister boot on a few of my bikes. You just have to make sure your plug is a resister plug ( ngk bpr7eix is what I use) :thumbsup:

Last edited:
The plug boots I have looks much narrower on the inside.

additionally, i found what looks like 1/4 length pieces inside the boots, which just fell out when I removed one plug wires/boots.

Attachments

• IMAG2078.jpg
    IMAG2078.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 236
  • IMAG2083.jpg
    IMAG2083.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 276
The plugs I pulled are labeled "BP7ES" are those standard fit plugs?

could be... year and model of your bike would help tho', don't know if you're talking about a 3 1/2 hp Briggs&Stratton or a Hayabusa otherwise... think those blue things are resistors for resistor type caps, you probably don't need resistor type caps... lots of bikes use the threaded top type plug not the screw on cap ... maybe the PO didn't take off those caps? wouldn't be the first time

Javel: it is for my '81 XS400.

xschris: thanks for the photo reference!

I just picked up a set of replacement plugs "BPR7EIX" <- No one had these in stock or couldnt find them.... finally a Kragen assoc found them by doing some cross search, which showed up as NGK model "4055" (BPR7EIX)

Last edited:
Back