spark plug wires

zonk39

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I am having the intermittent spark issues. I pulled out the plug wires, and the ends that went into the coils were like frayed fabric. Does anyone have a pic of what they should look like? Also, does that mean something is stuck in the coil from the wires. What should the receptical end of the coil look like inside. Thank you for all of your help. Have a great day!

theres a pin in the wire hole on the coil that you stab the plug wire into and then screw down the compression fittings.

just take a side cutter and snip an inch off and stab it on. if thats not it check the other thread thats new somebody else was having the same problem today and i answered the same question

http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7706

I am having the intermittent spark issues. I pulled out the plug wires, and the ends that went into the coils were like frayed fabric. Does anyone have a pic of what they should look like? Also, does that mean something is stuck in the coil from the wires. What should the receptical end of the coil look like inside. Thank you for all of your help. Have a great day!

That's probably the carbon core weve you're seeing. Those are great for keeping noise interferance down on the radio.... but not many xs650's have radios installed... so go grab a pair of copper core non-suppressed wires and stab them into the pin on the coil. Better spark, but the mom in the SUV next to you when you pull up will not be digging the snapping of the xs engine on her radio.. Might actually see you too.:thumbsup:

:)
-=PO

Yes, you want the real wire center ignition wires - either copper or steel. You can buy a set very reasonably from mikesxs.com Usually the plug caps and coils have a threaded stud onto which you twist the wires so they kinda screw in. That holds them in place so they won't pull out.

Back