Speedo not working

Joshwuh

XS Student
Reaction score
I just replaced my oil seals and when I reassembled everything my speedo was not working. I think the piece that the speedo cable screws into (on the hub) got pulled out half an inch so I pressed it back in flush with a vice. However, it still does not work. If I spin the cable with my fingers the needle moves. I'm pretty sure I have the teeth lined up in the hub as well (as sure as you can be since it's ultimately a bit of a blind shot).

Does anyone have any other suggestions I can try to fix this?
Can I buy another hub part for my wheel?
('77 XS400 stock)

I'll try to post a few pics today.

Thanks for the help.

The gold piece in the bottom right of the first picture is what was pulled out (about half an inch). I'm not sure if the 2 metal tips in the hub are correct or not but the one looks like the metal was bent and tore a bit.

Attachments

• DSC_6726.jpg
    DSC_6726.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 275
  • DSC_6727.jpg
    DSC_6727.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 307
  • DSC_6732.jpg
    DSC_6732.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 292
  • DSC_6733.jpg
    DSC_6733.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 283
  • DSC_6734.jpg
    DSC_6734.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 295
Last edited:
I don't think so... I think something is just not connecting in the wheel but I can't tell what. It looks a bit like the 2 teeth that the hub part sits in may have gotten bent but I'm not sure what they are supposed to look like new. Getting some pics up soon.

An officer waits for a boy who regularly speeds by a neighborhood and pulls him over.
Officer: I've been waiting for you all day, son.
Boy: I got here as fast as I could!

Looks like whatever is wrong is in the assembly itself, but I don't know how easy those are to service.

A cop was interrogating an intoxicated, and bleeding, gentleman.
The officer asked, "Can you describe the person who did this to you?"
He replied, "That's what I was doing when he hit me!"

I'd replace the pressed steel drive teeth as they look unservicable. The cable doesn't look good either.

The speedo and tach cable both have a kind of square shape to them i think and you have to turn the cable sometimes and retry when installing to make sure the inner part of the cable is actually inserted before screwing the cable on. That does'nt sound like the issue tho. Just a thought.
My own speedo doesn't work below 15mph because the needle likes to stick and then it unsticks and jumps up to 15 mph, i think that is getting better, haha

Yeah, I didn't think about that til the second time I had it apart but this time I made sure the needle was set inside the hub. Kinda frustrating and I don't want to have to spend $ on parts when it was just working 2 days ago.

Back