Spoke issue

rshutchinson

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I ordered a set of spokes for 18" drum front and rear rims off ebay from that thailand seller that was mentioned on here a few times. Took nearly 2 months but I got them. Now I'm going to relace the rim and find that I'm really having to bend the last few spokes and the hub is all cock-eyed and not centered. I stopped at about 80% lacing because I thought something was up.

So I look at the new spokes and it seems all the new spokes have the elbows bent the same way, looks like 90 degrees. The old original spokes have half the spokes bent 90 degrees, the other half not quite as much.

Did anyone else have this issue of getting all the same angle spokes who bought them?

I've contacted the seller with no response yet. Even then I'd have to wait during the riding months to get them. My only other option is the cadmium plated ones from MikesXS.

Last edited:
Yes, half of them need to have a 'partial bend' to be correct. The other half should be about 90 deg. I just got done lacing mine.

Yep.

Well no contact from the seller so I've started the process of returning them on ebay. We'll see how that goes.

In the mean time I ordered some from Mikes XS. Appears they have the stainless spokes for the one wheel but not the other so I just got the cadmium ones.

Just wanted to say that the cadmium spokes from Mikes worked great and look good too. The front spokes are thicker near the bend and then taper down to a smaller size so they aren't an exact match to the rear but it's not too noticeable.

Back