SR500 19" front wheel on XS400

I would say take measurements and see how close things are if possible. I think I read somewhere that the forks were 34mm or close to that.

I am sure someone on here knows more though.......

I threw on some sr500 forks and from what I remember they were a direct fit into the triple tree (I have a 1982 xs400j DOHC). As far as wheel, I would guess there would be some changes needed like new wheel bearings. I think the sr500 has a larger diameter axle than the xs400 and possibly a wider wheel frame.

Check out this site for axle sizes:
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=20952.0

I built my XS400 with an SR500 front end. Much beefier construction going from 33mm forks to 35mm, cartridge emulators, bosses to fit two calipers (one from the XS the other from the SR, bigger diameter brake rotors. Of course I did a bit of machining the upper triple to accept the stock XS instrument cluster, and flaring the headlight fork ear tubes so they mounted properly on the slightly stretched rubber isolators.

IMG_0794.JPG IMG_0793.JPG

oh thats cool. i did not check this forum for a while so missed your post maxim-umm and I orded from US, could have fancied getting custom part instead. Anyone looking easy option then suggest to check this out
https://nrperformance.wordpress.com/r-6/

Did you use the stock 400 forks or did you get 500 forks?

Sort of thinking a 19" wheel over the current 18" for a better tire.

I heard from SR500 guys that dual discs might be too heavy for a such a small bike, especially the 320mm ones, cant argue with the looks though. Not tried it myself yet. Waiting parts to arrive and will go first with 1 side.
Meanwhile the biggest challenge I face is to get all the small bits that go with SR500 front (axle diam is different to XS400). Its easy to buy a SR500 wheel on ebay but sort everything else is more pain.

For anyone still considering going with SR500 /XS650 fork and wheel, here is a link that might be useful to give you an idea of what you possibly need:
https://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-sr500-1978-usa_model8661/partslist/E-06.html#results

I also like the fact that the SR500 tubes are thicker just looks bit cooler with 19inch wheel.

Out of interest, can anyone confirm if the xs1100 possibly also xs750 have same axle thickness as xs400? Found a post from user "cafe from paris" ... if i remember correct he claimed that he left xs400 forks and just went with xs1100 wheel, which was just a straight forward wheel swap?

I heard from SR500 guys that dual discs might be too heavy for a such a small bike, especially the 320mm ones, cant argue with the looks though. Not tried it myself yet. Waiting parts to arrive and will go first with 1 side.
Meanwhile the biggest challenge I face is to get all the small bits that go with SR500 front (axle diam is different to XS400). Its easy to buy a SR500 wheel on ebay but sort everything else is more pain.

For anyone still considering going with SR500 /XS650 fork and wheel, here is a link that might be useful to give you an idea of what you possibly need:
https://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-sr500-1978-usa_model8661/partslist/E-06.html#results

I also like the fact that the SR500 tubes are thicker just looks bit cooler with 19inch wheel.

Out of interest, can anyone confirm if the xs1100 possibly also xs750 have same axle thickness as xs400? Found a post from user "cafe from paris" ... if i remember correct he claimed that he left xs400 forks and just went with xs1100 wheel, which was just a straight forward wheel swap?

I read that also but haven't confirmed. I do have both a 750 and 1100. I should have measured the axle on the 1100 when I put tires on it but didn't......maybe I will pull the 750 and look as its a basket case and a parts bike only.

I ended up using the 500 axle with my 400 wheel. I had to buy different bearings to fit the axle in the wheel, but it rolls smooth without play. As far as the dual disc brakes being heavy I haven't noticed. You definitely have to be a bit more tender with them, but in the few test rides it's not very noticable. I also switched to stainless braided brake lines which also makes a big difference. Test rides have only been about 1/4 - 1/2 miles long.

Back