Stalled Project

iaregenius

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
DSC_5165.jpg
[/IMG]

DSC_5151.jpg

DSC_5148.jpg

I'm not sure what to do with this anymore. I started stripping it down and somebody stole my carbs and a few other parts, what's the easiest way to get another?

Any advice would be appreciated. Actually anything at would be good, words of encouragement etc lol.

Last edited:
I can see your pictures in the first post :)

that's a bummer man, need to get a tarp over it as some peeps may think its a free for all :banghead:

why not use some VM mikuni's instad, they are made for 2 strokes but peeps have got them to fit the xs. you get nice modern carbs and reliability! every cloud....etc :bike:

I can see your pictures in the first post :)

that's a bummer man, need to get a tarp over it as some peeps may think its a free for all :banghead:

why not use some VM mikuni's instad, they are made for 2 strokes but peeps have got them to fit the xs. you get nice modern carbs and reliability! every cloud....etc :bike:

The pics are viewable now after editing.

The bike was actually in a garage stored away but my landlord gave her nephew access to the garage as well and shit started disappearing. My entire project/parts box was taken. :wtf:

I'm pretty discouraged at the moment and I'm not sure I have the cash to continue.

Thanks for the carb advice.

more facts about the bike, it's an 80 XS400 Special II that looked like this:
000_0364-2.jpg

I put what I think is a 76 gas tank on it but I can't remember, it was a $10 find at a junkyard. I took the pipes off of my buddies long forgotten project and threw some cheap pods on it that I found on ebay.

Considering the exhaust and the pods I'm guessing I'll have to re-jet the carbs, is this correct?

I'm also wanting to put a bigger wheel on the front and lower it in the back, what are some of the better methods for doing this?

P.S. The buddy with the failed project gave me his carbs that I believe are Mikuni 34's :D

and after lookin at the bike you should get shorter shocks instead of lookin for a smaller rear tire... smaller rear tire means messin with brakes and fitments and possibly axle bearings or sizes... lot less headache with goin for smaller shocks..... Just my opinion.....

DSC_5165.jpg

Actually, this first picture of it shows pretty accurately how it sits, I'm less concerned withe back tire. I thought about a bigger front tire and possibly lower it in the front like this:
XS500_16.jpg

My other concern is being able to fit my girl on the back.

depends on how big the girl is. maybe itll lower it to where you want.:D

i lowered my front end by shoving the forks higher into the treees. just make sure there the same hight for both. bigger front wheel will need to have the forks lowered. and for the back, either smaller shocks off a honda rebel, like some 10 inchers, or if your doin it on the cheap, cut the springs? ive never done it on a bike, but my dad and his buddies used to cut the coils on their cars all the time. or even drill a hole in the axle plate kinda by where that hump is behind the current mount. once again. measure like fifteen times or itll have a gangsta lean to it.

I have so many influences and finding this forum didn't help.:laugh:

I started this off with the www.wrenchmonkees.com/ work as a major inspiration but knowing that I don't have the money or skill I started looking for alternate ways of doing things and trying to enlist the help of others.

I had at one point considered a cafe build but soon decided that wasn't a good idea, bobbers are cool as well but I think I really like the brat-style bikes. I can kind of do whatever and it's going to be a big mix of things I've picked up from the wrenchmonkees, gravel crew, bratstyle and whatever else I see.

here's a pic of when I started stripping it down at the beginning of winter:
Mybike1.jpg

and here's a pic of me trying to fit a seat frame that a "friend of a friend" made completely wrong. I believe he was too stoned to be welding when he looked at the schematic I drew.
Mybike2.jpg

Also i was wanting to put an old dirt bike tank on it, any suggestions? Something like this:
Chicago_Ride_0031.jpg

or
Screenshot2011-06-15at113913AM.png

i know because of the XS400 frame there is limited tank options so I was wondering if anybody has found something like this that might work?

Back