Standard carb settings

nitrofish1

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
OK, so lets pretend that Sheniqua isn't a stubborn b**** to get started after not riding for more than 3 days, what are the standard settings for stock exhaust with regards to the main and pilot jets, and possibly the idle screws. Ok, so any setting I can adjust on the carbs aside from F/A mixture?

I've lost power on the low end and need an adjustment.

Thankzzzz

or is it all listed in the factory service manual and im wasting a comment by drewpy? (although i do like hearing from him :p)

sheniqua is treating me well if u wanted to know.

could be a blocked pilot jet? are you running a fuel filter? using choke? float height checked? checked ignition timing?

the carbs are like Sheniqua's breasts, you need to tweak the right bit to get them going :laugh:

could be a blocked pilot jet? are you running a fuel filter? using choke? float height checked? checked ignition timing?

the carbs are like Sheniqua's breasts, you need to tweak the right bit to get them going :laugh:

carbs were clean a while back, have been riding ever since. not using choke, float height i doubt has changed?

shes running electronic ignition. (1981)

however, the fuel filter does have a few bits in it ive noticed O.O i need to go get a new one. although i may have one in my bucket of goodies.

currently my factory shop manual says that the pilot/idle jet screws are unadjustable, but whoever owned it before me had broken the seal. the previous models are listed at 1.25 turns out. but my dad says thats too lean coming from the factory. he had them set at 4 just to be able to get her started in the cold morning, but i adjusted them back to 2.5 turns and the power seems the same, with a little more responsiveness on the low end.

Do you have adjustable slide needles? While I was tuning most recently I noticed the most dramatic change from pilot to partial main at about 3,000 rpms. What rpm range are you having trouble in? Is it too rich or too lean? Does it pop? If it's too rich it will often sound like it's choking and you'll get flat spot.

well i have them set now so that theyre not super rich but not too lean either. but im going to try replacing my fuel filter first. have one ordered now so hopefully once fuel flow is unimpeded i will get better results from trying to tune them

i think i got the carbs tuned down well. hopefully the new fuel filter will fix her back to original power. naturally she's a dog at 3000rpm in 6th gear, that much is to be expected.

just decided to keep her above 6000rpm while shifting through town. always a blast. before i know it i find myself doin 50 in a 40 zone O.O

Back