Starter button question and brake hose fitting?

cthor

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've traced my problem of the starter button not grounding to my new clip ons. I bought the ones off of ebay from china. I have no idea what type of material they are but they appear to not be a good source of grounding material. I was able to verify it by using little alligator clips and clipping it onto the blue/white wire and then touching the other end to a bolt on the chasis and the bike started right up but when i touch it anywhere on the bars, i get no response. I also get no response from the starter button. Has anyone ever experience this or do you guys have any way for me to get around this problem without having to buy new bars? maybe just hook up my own switch by splicing into the blue/white wire and a grounding source? Any help/suggestions would be great!

I am looking to get a new shorter brake hose because of my clip ons. Do you guys know what the size of the banjo fitting is?

Thanks

Last edited:
The blue/white wire comes from the starter solenoid and goes to the starter button. When you push the starter button the wire is connected to the ground. The ground wire goes into the loom and connects to the main ground wire, so it doesnt ground to the handle bars in the stock harness. Im assuming the button worked before the new clip ons were put on. My guess is the button is damaged or the ground some how became disconnected from the loom. Check this by putting your alligator on the black ground wire that comes from the switch. Touch one end to a a known ground source one end to the ground wire coming from the switch. Test the button if it works you have a good button, and the ground going into the loom is not connected properly. If it doesnt work you have a bad button.

You can mount a button switch anywhere supply it with the blue/white and a solid ground and it will work.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. I prob did something to the black ground wire in there and disconnected it. I will look at it later today to see what's going on exactly. Thank you.

Back