Starter Clutch Delete

FRANKATAMS

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

Just picked up my first XS400. What great little bikes. I've been searching the forums in regards to deleting the starter as I will be going to kick only for my scrambler project. I've already pulled the starter itself, gear and chain. The next step I'm on is removing the rotor. I will be picking up a 16x1.5 bolt from the hardware store tonight.

My main question is what stays and what can I remove? I'd assume the starter gear itself, along with the starter clutch pack can be removed. Is there anything else that can go? If anyone has a picture or a diagram of what can be removed, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

XS400 STARTER GEARS.png

Thanks xschris. So everything pictured here can go?

Reviving a 1.5 year old thread as I finally try to finish rewiring my bike (after multiple grounding issues and a fried starter). .. When xschris says keep the rotor, I'm not sure how to secure it in there now that the clutch is removed. Seems like it will just float around..pictures below. What am I missing as I try to pick up a 2 year old project?

Attachments

• 20190117_182049.jpg
    20190117_182049.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 344
  • 20190117_160153.jpg
    20190117_160153.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 297
DSC03600.JPG DSC03601.JPG All the parts get removed from the diagram in post #3 including the gear and guide. You keep the rotor ( big round solid metal with key way in it) And all else goes. You still need the bolt that holds it to the crank. Should look like this.

Last edited:
I was thrown off as I don't have the bolt that locks it down to the crank in front of me... it's up in one of the boxes I need to take down with bolts from the disassembly that I didn't want to lose. Thank you very much for your help and the pics! Now I just have to find that bolt... then I can move on to finishing the motogadget wiring.

Back