Starter Clutch

cturek

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I've been putting the 400 back together all winter and getting close to being complete. Can post some pictures as soon as I complete my last major task - paint the tank and side covers.

This morning I installed the tach cable and gave the motor a spin with the electric start to make sure the cable spun OK before I connected it to the tach. I notice that the starter is spinning strong, but the cable is only moving very intermittently. Research shows the starter clutch. Damn, I wish I new this when I had the covers off for polishing. Research also shows that they are available used on Ebay, but why buy a used part that could be just as worn as the one I have. I didn't see any on PartsnMore and Bike Bandit lists them at 170 bucks!!!! but availability unknown.

MikesXS has them for the 650 reasonably priced - I wonder if they are the same. Anybody have a source or is it kickstart only time?

my starter clutch was toasted when i got my bike and it made a horrible loud clunking and grinding kind of noise. you made no reference to noise. could you just have a sticky cable?

Yes, it was making a fair amount of noise, however, not too much different when the cable did spin. I'm sure the cable wasn't sticking as I had just lubed it and it was pointing straight out of the rocker cover resting on the top of the front tire.

Did you replace yours or just using kickstart?

Back