Starter solenoid delete

Excess Impulse

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I am running a smaller battery, and will be using the kick-start only. I want to remove the starter solenoid, but have a question about wiring. It looks as though I can just remove or terminate the Blue/White wire that goes to the starter switch, as well as removing the big starter cable. However, the Red/White wire now on the starter solenoid, does it just go directly to the positive battery post? From my wire diagram, looks like the wire goes to the Igniter, then to the kill switch.
A9XhWYM4xQ-vfD8LzLXHSnuV84oi4xkAjXU99H8eV7eht0zCvLWLQ_aRyEfuw-pkM0jsdPH8iM68kXjlbQC9hdnlCprbBiyrgNyyofnlo_HKMoVYnaU-AMoSYWOzx7J6OyxAsxnWl_L9uD1oagUu7CbMytsyfNKNcocONwcv5mvny20HbA6Ybm8OMXNtKYVbqedAtr7ACNGt3OO_bGVxeESnmtFJK7CrgHOoezCCcgL3fyAkBR6-IcabOBAT6d9zDEIkiNAdxT9z_QfBi-MnJekAY1HjeN0vGEBY9LMIHHX5OPKsA0XyQtBLAzDZSlRLuTwp7SJDdHauBFeSOgvUH2J_4wdLXI_jbJ8eObbM3lDYDD4w7BRHm2lCBHF4UpCv0LuowowvlaC-Agw-DK69ZxPNXx802lL0jZfBc0r5C_Z5WFcmljdVoEb7W_aePMasuLOKbUMI4rwJ957ynID84G7urpUgnqYvsu9hc5B51iEoSX3HrH3B_x8vPSvOISyTrILPR1sfgCYW2F-330j9SFbN9PleGSyxAFzdTBDXdi2mHNJTui74xESFZGIKD11cNd8u2nrbQfYxmbPIQrnucaMykK6AhIw=w1129-h634-no

The main hot wire will go right to the battery. All else can go.
Ok, thank you. Let me see if I got this, the main from the solenoid to the starter motor, (top wire with the boot on my pic) and red/wht, blu/wht wires can go, and the main for the igniter-kill switch (bottom wire with boot on my pic) goes to battery?

Your pic is gone now. If you look at the wiring diagram for your bike you will see the main hot wire which is a smaller red wire that goes into the harness. That is the one that goes to the battery. Also don't leave out the small black ground wire that goes into the harness. That one is the harness ground wire.

Thanks for the heads up about my pics. It's odd, I can see them on my browser. I have looked through the site since the new format started, but have not posted, I will have to check for the correct way to post pics. I see the wire you mean, it goes to the main 20 amp fuse. And I realize the larger cable from the solenoid to the battery, and the one from solenoid to starter can be discarded. It just seemed to me I would need to keep the Red/White wire to battery positive, as it goes to the igniter, and also to the Engine stop switch. At least on the diagram I'm looking at, it says XS400G/SG, 1981. Mine is an 1980, I hope I'm looking at the right one.

Thank-You! Just to clarify, I wasn't doubting you, it was more of a question as to the function of that wire, as it looked as if it was important. That said, I removed everything you said except the main red wire, gave it a kick, and she fired right up! Now to figure out if it's charging the battery or not, as a voltmeter on the battery reads only 12.02 v when running.

Back