starter vs kick start

xadmp

O's and Boh's
Reaction score
want your guys' ideas about a kick start vs electric starter. Just really want comments or pros and cons type stuff. Saw a thread that a dude took his starter out and kicked it only so i want your ideas.

My bike is kick only and I like it! I can run a smaller battery that is easier to hide and weighs less plus there are few more things you can get rid of out of the charging system which is always nice. The starter motor is a few lbs in itself, so you're also saving weight there. The only time I wish I had a push button is when the bike has been sitting for a while and it's cold out, then kicking it gets old, but isn't an issue once it is warmed up and started regularly.

And, for some odd reason, people think it is cool that the bike is kick only. I don't really see what the big deal is, but I'll take it!

On two of my xs i use both. If battery is low or bike stands a long time, i prefer to kick it on.

On my new project there is only an electric starter. Because of the footpegholder.

main.php

i'll hpe, the battery is alltime full. :D

With our bikes being both electric and kick I use the kick when its warm it only takes on or 2 but when its cold I use my electric.I dont know what the big deal is about using the kick only though.

Kick only:

No cons unless you're very weak or lazy.
Pros include being light weight and not using much power; a much smaller battery can also be used.

Electric start:

Cons include being heavy and requiring a larger battery.
Pros are convenience.

Mine is kick-only, but if it had come with an electric start I would have kept it on. The weight does make some difference, but consider what you use the bike for. Unless you're racing it doesn't really matter.

Back