Starting and idle problems

only with the head off.

rings can be sussed by a little engine oil in the bore and see if the compression rises dramatically.

So after the head comes off, is there something specific I should look for, or is it something that will stand out?

tip head upside down and put some parafin/diesel or whatever in the chamber and see it it leaks past the valves. If it does they need recutting or at the very least lapping in.

did you try the wet compression test first? if the numbers stack up its the rings

I didn't try the wet compression test, although that probably would have been easier. I've already started to take the head off. I found some good videos on lapping. Is there anything specific to these bikes that would also help? By the way drewpy, your bike looks awesome!

I haven't taken the head off yet, but the camshaft cover is off and I've noticed a lot of oil in there. That's not normal is it?

I finally got around to removing the head this weekend. I did the leak test on the valves and sure enough, fuel leaked past them. I only did this with the intake valves but I'm assuming they all need work. I'll attach a few pics. You should be able to see where the fuel leaked out.

Attachments

• IMAG0505.jpg
    IMAG0505.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 208
  • IMAG0513.jpg
    IMAG0513.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 208
  • IMAG0508.jpg
    IMAG0508.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 212
bloody hell, that's running rich

need to get a brass wire brush on a drill and take out that carbon

put the valves back in first, stuff a rag in the cam chain tunnel and do the pistons too.

use solvol to polish the piston heads afterwards to prevent carbon sticking!

I can see why the valves are leaking. cheap repair anyway

It's looking better already. I cleaned a lot off the outside of the valves but now I'm stuck trying to get them off. I have a spring compressor but it's only grabbing the outer spring and not the inner one. Is there a trick to this?

I think the valves leaking test is you hear a hiss coming out the airbox boots when the airboxes are removed. That line of travel should be well blocked off during the compression stroke.

Have a mate kick the starter with your thumb over the hole. If it can puff your finger off, you've got enough compression to burn gasoline.

Although the valves are giving me trouble, I was able to clean up the piston heads pretty well today.

Attachments

• pistons.jpg
    pistons.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 190
Back