Starting Issues

travisw

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hello my name is Travis, I've been a member for a little over a year and I am restoring an 1981 XS400G which was my fathers back in the day. I have searched all the other threads looking for a problem similar to the one I'm having, but unfortunatly I had no such luck. So the problem is that I had the biker running fine untill the peatcock went bad, so I ordered a new on off mikesxs and the o-ring on the diaphram wasn't seating correctly which caused it to leak and flood the air box. Which I solved by putting an inline fuel shut off, to this point the bike ran fine. Then I went off to college and came back after a month to a bike that wouldn't want to start(kick start) at all, even with starting fluid. Sadly I just can't think of what in the world would is causing the issue,so I'm turning to you guy which have more experience with this bike.

I appologize for the length I just wanted t ofill you in on the couple of weeks of work I did before I left
Anything helps,
Travis Wilkerson

That is easy, Cheap gas. If I bought the leaded gas, I will have problems after 3 days of letting the bike sit. You might be be able to if your starter is any good, leave your bike on a battery charger/maintainer. Attempt to start it that way, until get it going. If you decide to use a vehicles battery (your car/truck) remember not to run the car while you are jumping the bike.

Or you can clean the carbs again, then go get good gas, (100%, no ethanol)

Thanks for the advice, unfortunately I had to return to school before I got the chance to try it out. It looks like I get to clean the carbs again haha, anyway when I get the chance I'll let you know how it works out.

Yea, if your going to let it sit for a season, you might want to drain the fuel from the carbs, as a "winterization" since your in Texas, you don't need to winterize it, but to keep the fuel from turning to gum/varnish.

Back