still arcing after condenser replace

xs400neophite

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
hello guys,hope yer Easter was good!

I was hoping to get some suggestions here on an issue that seems to developed.

I saw arcing while running the bike with the cover off previously so I took the points off and replaced with new ones as well as new condenser.The bike still ran subtly crappy albeit slightly smoother in the lower rpm range and take-offs.

Upon re-checking for arcing, I can still see 'blue' and 'yellow' sparks.:wtf:
With the blue spark on the left point,the bike noticeably misfires(idle stumbles?) the yellow detonation happens on both points.
I am charging the battery now bcs it ran down whilst I re-timed the bike.I hope and suspect that might have something to do with it.I may need a new battery too.

Would a discharged/bad battery cause misfire?
What else can cause the misfire or subtly crappiness the bike is experiencing?
I set points to .30-.33mm
Timed to the LF,RF marks using 12V indicator test light

Next, if the battery checks out,I plan on doing a resistance test on the coils.
I have a feeling this is garden variety problem.
Any and all info/checks would be appreciated.

try earthing the condensor to the frame ie where it bolts on make sure it has clean metal and is protected with WD40 etc

OK so I didn't ground the new condensers to the frame.... yet....... but I checked the coils and @ 20K Ohms setting on the multimeter, both coils are reading in the 17's? The left is @ 17.07 apx. and the right is reading 17.5 apx. measured from orange wire(- probe) to the HT/sparkplug(+ probe) lead? Does that sound correct to y'all? Am I doing this right?
Both coils are measuring 4.2 ohms measured from orange wire(- probe) to red/wht wire (+ probe).

Manual states : Primary 4.0 ohms +/- 10% 20*C
Secondary 9.5K ohms +/- 20% 20*C

would the bike even work if both secondary coil windings are off?

Last edited:
OK so I didn't ground the new condensers to the frame.... yet....... but I checked the coils and @ 20K Ohms setting on the multimeter, both coils are reading in the 17's? The left is @ 17.07 apx. and the right is reading 17.5 apx. measured from orange wire(- probe) to the HT/sparkplug(+ probe) lead? Does that sound correct to y'all? Am I doing this right?
Both coils are measuring 4.2 ohms measured from orange wire(- probe) to red/wht wire (+ probe).

Manual states : Primary 4.0 ohms +/- 10% 20*C
Secondary 9.5K ohms +/- 20% 20*C

would the bike even work if both secondary coil windings are off?

That would be the correct approximate reading with the caps on. The manual saying closer to 9.5 is with plug caps removed.

BTW anyone thinking they need a new condensor (rarely go bad i think), one on ebay through 1979 2F selling for $7 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Condensor-1976-1977-XS360-1977-1979-XS400-1L9-81625-50-00-NOS-/270954894885?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f162b9625&vxp=mtr

Back