Stock jet sizes????????

brownv1

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have read about every forum on here on this issue so I'm not taking the easy way out. Does anyone know with scertainty what the stock jet sizes are for an 81 XS400 Heritage Special(believe its a heritage special this is in debate too, Its stamped with the 4R4 which I believe means its a HS)? I pud pods on and need to rejet and like the rule of thumb one up for each mod. My problem is I have no idea what the stock size is as the manual could be wrong and everyone has different theories. I have decided to purchase two sizes higher but don't know where to start. If anyone has pods and stock exhaust and they have found the key that would be awesome too. Sorry to keep revisiting the topic but I havn't found a clear answer yet.

Thanks

I bought some cheap one's off ebay think they're no-name but they are equivalent to this or close enough http://www.z1enterprises.com/Air-Filter-pod-52mm--Individual--EMGO-1603.aspx I plan on buying a couple sizes just to be safe but don't know where to start. I have seen post that say my stock size would be anywhere from 135:42.5 to 137.5:37.5 and that makes no since. I have read that 142.5:45 is a good place to end up but that is 3 sizes up?? Any thoughts? I know that the uni foam filters are prefered but as this is my first bike im willing to break a couple cheap ones to figure all this out.

Thanks

The thing is you will have to go through the same thing again when you get the uni filters. Also remember that you will have to change your needle setting to fix any mid range problems (4-5k rpm) Good luck just keep at it and you will get it right:thumbsup:

Stock is 135/42.5.

I just double checked the ones I replaced on my SG.

I'm running the identical pods, and stock exhaust.

Current jetting is 137.5/45

Also... The cheap ones I bought off ebay were actually Emgo filters, and to be honest they are still cheapos. The do look good though.

I just picked up identical bike as yours. Since i have the carbs torn down, this is what i found.

Main jet = 135
pilot jet = 42.5
Air jet = 155
Jet needle = 5GZ9 (non adjustable)
Needle jet = y-2

Hope this helps.

thanks for the help guys. I'm glad I asked from what I read I had concluded that stock was the 137.5's. Ebola Monkey did you have to do any other adjustments like add spacers to the needle? About how many turns out on the air screws you got?

You can adjust un-adjustable needles by putting small washers underneath the needles,thereby richening the mix. lha

It's been a while, but...

I didn't shim anything, and I THINK about 3 turns out. I do remember that the 2 were different. Not by 1/8th turn either. I mean 1 was 3 turns, and 1 was 3 3/4, or so.

Check Ebay for a colortune unit. Best $40 spent on the 400.

I could never get my '78 to run right with emgo pod filters. They have an inner lip that blocks the pilot air jet.

I could never get my '78 to run right with emgo pod filters. They have an inner lip that blocks the pilot air jet.

that's why I kept my inlet hoses, I think they still look cool and different as everybody else fits them directly to the carbs :bike:

I didn't have a problem, but did trim that lip at an angle after reading about everyone else's problems.

that's why I kept my inlet hoses, I think they still look cool and different as everybody else fits them directly to the carbs :bike:
On my '75 Dt400 dirt bike I have a UNI pod,or sock,foam filter and attached it to the EOM rubber intake tube,and it runs better. lha

Back