Stock or Straight?

nitrofish1

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
So reading around, I see that my xs400 would be very loud if I went with a straight exhaust on it. And honestly, I would love to have a loud bike, but would it be too loud at that point to where I wouldn't want to take it on long rides? Or would I just have to go the earplugs route? I might even consider earplugs on a short ride if it really is that loud. Does anyone have any videos of their bikes with straight exhaust?

I also see that if I go this route, I'd have to rejet the carbs. There's no way to adjust the mixture on the stock jet to get the same results? And does getting a new jet ruin the gas mileage of the bike?

If I did chop up the exhaust and cut the mufflers off, is it usually just before the start of the muffler or would I need to turn the pipe outwards? I was thinking about this and the exhaust outlet would be directly below my boot, and I wasn't sure if that would perhaps melt my shoes literally?

Heck just take the muffler off your lawn mower and listen to it, it would sound about the same

My dad does old bikes too and he said that without a muffler the valves get burned? Is that true?

But all I would have to do is change the jets and adjust the carb to the right mixture after removing the muffler and I'd be set to go?

You could also convert from airbox filters to pods, which will eliminate the muffling that the air boxes provide. I did this on mine, adding a 4" length of steel pipe to connect the pods to the intake assembly (did not re-jet, didn't seem to need it), and it is loud enough for me.

I'm thinking I am going to keep the exhaust stock. Will be better for long trips and tuning the carbs. Plus I would like to keep the low end power is the big reason, because this bike is on a budget

Here's one way to louden up pipes:
The picture shows a stock pipe on top. Some PO drilled four 1/2" holes in the one on the bottom.
I've run both and the stock pipes are nice and quiet [civilized] while the 'enhanced' pair are plenty loud - I SAID, PLENTY LOUD.
Too loud for me. I'm looking for some way to plug those extra holes. Yeah, I could have them welded but I'm thinking of using the kind of expanding wall plugs that are used in sheet-rock to hang shelves and heavy pictures. The unit goes in to fill the hole, then a screw is tightened causing the inside of the piece to flare inside the cavity into three or four 'fingers' and grip the stock front to back. This leaves a permanent threaded plug in the hole. The screw can then be removed and re-inserted as needed. You could use a simple toggle bolt but if you take out the bolt the toggle/nut falls off inside of the muffler and rattles around in there forever:doh: while the things I'm thinking of can sometimes be 'decompressed' [un-spreading the 'fingers'] and removed if you change your mind and want the hole back.
If you decide to drill, make the holes 1/2" or bigger. Small ones may whistle or squeal - calling every dog in the area:eek:. And only make one or two holes at a time till you get the loud you want and the next owner won't have so many to fill:thumbsup:.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 186
If you do decide to cut the pipes, you can just cut them right behind the cross brace that connects the two headers under the frame. You should not have to rejet, just let out the mixture screws in the carbs. some bikes, (dont know the years) have a cap on them due to EPA regs but you can remove that no problem.

Here's one way to louden up pipes:
The picture shows a stock pipe on top. Some PO drilled four 1/2" holes in the one on the bottom.

Not certain those holes were drilled by a PO. My son's '81 had the same holes and we discussed that on the Forum - maybe sometime last year - and others responded that their mufflers had the very same holes. When I closely examined my son's, the holes were too perfectly aligned and smooth, having a factory look, not owner drilled. Yes, they do liven up the exhaust a little w/o major mods to the exhaust system.

Back