tach cable broke off! weird noise now! help!

hellojamin

XS400 Member
Reaction score
so I was riding the other day and i started noticing a weird noise coming from my bike. Its like a high pitched wurrrrrring noise that happens every once in a while at random times and random rpms. I stopped the bike and noticed that the tach cable housing had broken off from the piece that fits in the engine and the cable was just dangling. I took the whole tach off and the end of the cable is not broken, just the housing. It still makes the noise but only sometimes and I worried something is wrong. The bike runs fine but it makes that noise once in a while. Any advice?

be careful, the tach drive runs off the camshaft and you don't want metal shavings in those cam bearings as they run directly in the head.

take the cam cover off and check

here are some pictures, the more i've ridden the less the sound happens but for now ive stopped riding it period.
IMG_20110728_140659.jpg

IMG_20110728_140738.jpg

there still might be some swarf in there!

top mounts off, diagnally opposite undo the bolts to ease tension on the cover.

drive is in the top of the cover but check the gear on the cam too!

I'd take out the screw and see what the tach drive looks like first. One screw and the piece under the motor mount slides right out- or it should. If there is a piece missing or you are suspicious, then take the cam cover off.

Back