Tach trouble

ThePsuedoMonkey

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hello all!

I was riding home last night, and as I pull off the freeway I noticed the faceplate of my tachometer jumping around! Turns out that the two screws that hold it in place came out, but I don't know how to open it without breaking anything. I removed all of the fasteners that I could find, but still cannot dismantle it. It looks like the glass shield is glued to the plastic base, but I cannot be certain of this... anyone know if there is an easy way to open this baby?

Figured it out! Not really fun, but here it is:

So, there is a metal bracket on the front of the assembly and it is affixed to the plastic housing via deformation. I pried it off from the back side with a screwdriver, moving along the circumference until the housing slid out.
guage cluster.jpg
One of the screws that hold the plate got lost while I was screwing around, but one of the screws from a dremel tool sort of fit, so in it goes! It was easy enough to reassemble afterward: put it in a vise and started bending the bracket back over the housing with a mallet against a metal rod. The bracket seemed like it was about to fall apart by this point, so it probably won't take much more abuse, but apparently you can replace the bracket with heat shrink if you screw up.

Easy peasy.

good tips there, I quite like the heat shrink idea, looks neat.

there's a guy in London who repairs speedos and such, and he uses dies to reseal the clocks and refaces them too.

your home remedy seems just as good, thanks for sharing!

Back