How to remove Cylinder body?

ucmlamb

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
First off let me say that this is a great forum. I cannot tell you how many times I have found exactly the answer I was looking for on here. Read the how to for splitting the crankcase and it was very helpful in locating all the bolts especially the ones hidden on the bottom of the case.

To my problem: I have the Head removed, but cannot get the cylinder jug to dislocate from the case. I have tried using a rubber mallet to knock it loose, but it is still stuck. I know using a pry bar is out of the question as it will most certainly break some fins. And I don't really want to try to wedge something under the gasket for fear of damaging the mating surface.

So, does anyone have any tricks they know of for un-sticking the cylinder jug from the crankcase?

Just in case anybody else gets here looking, i ended up using a utility knife blade. I carefully inserted it into the middle of the gasket then tapped it with a hammer. You have to replace the gasket anyway and the thickness of the blade was just enough to break it loose.

Back