Tachometer or Speedometer!!!!

lduberti

XS400 Member
Reaction score
hello, I'm about to make a change in the instrument panel of my xs, I leave the front a bit cleaner, then decided to leave one of the instrumentals but not decide which. You think, which is more useful, the speedometer or tachometer??

I kept my tach I can always get someone to clock me and add reference marks for MPH on the tach I've done it with cars to

what are you looking down for?

kidding... depends on what you value more...knowing your speed to help fend off policia or knowing engine speed, which could help diagnose carb issues... but like he said, could always figure you speed with your tach and the gear you are in

they do sell speedos with integrated tachometers, im sure they are more expensive though.

personal preference, if i had to choose only 1, id keep my speedo as long as my carbs were clean and well tuned!

If you have a smartphone you could get a bracket and a GPS speedo app. They work just fine, I used one for a while when the speedo conked out in my Volvo. Put it on for long rides, take it off for showing the bike.

there in Argentina also need a speedo to pass inspection, but it is not a problem to change the clocks for the inspection, which is done only once per year.
Final speed really does not worry me, I drive carefully and not risking my life, so I is Secundary and as BrokenFang said.
It seems more important to me not to force the engine speed and longer run the risk of breaking it. And my carbs are very well maintained.
Levdir tell me what app uses GPS for speedo?? is very difficult to connect to the motorcycle??

http://www.rammount.com/products/motorcycles.htm This is the first thing I found on Google for mounts, I don't know of them specifically as a manufacturer, but that's the basic idea. I have a free iPhone app called Yori Moto that acts as a speedo and map and also has a fuel economy calculator. There are lots of basic free GPS speedo apps, Yori Moto's just the one I happen to have installed right now.

Be cool to replace with a combo one:

If willing to spend $600+ ... kinda cool:
DSC_3901_1024x1024.jpg

The Ace Speedwell's are kinda cool, and cheaper.
1339784487_original_1.jpg

Thanks for replying guys, served me well their opinions and I decided on the tachometer, because as I said before I'd rather know the engine speed before the final velocity, and because I avoid making the connection of the warning light high light , and I'm already using a speedo app as suggested levdir really happy with the result.
These dual watches, here in Argentina are not in stock because exports are closed and $ 600 dollars is a lot of money lol

Hey Guys,

i want to re do the whole front look of my bike. just bought new mini tach and speedo (chrome black face), bought my new HID Projector Lens, still need to decide which headlight assembly i like as well as headlight bracket. But i wasn't able to find much on the two things i'm unsure of:

1. how to replace the instrument indication lights (neutral, signals, high beam, etc.) i know i can get LED bulbs and all that stuff, but i haven't been able to figure out a good was to get it mounted. DCC has the bracket that looks nice, but i'm pretty sure it doesn't fit out bikes. Any suggestions?

2. i have the stock gauges right now, but i want to keep the key/ignition there anyone know if this comes off and or how easy it is in install an aftermarket one?

3. i'm going to try and use the stock mounting brackets for the new gauges, but i don't like the messy look of our headlight "ears". Anyone know of a good bracket that i don't need to fabricate?

If you get stopped by the fuzz and they ask "Do you know how fast you were going"
Will your answer be, I dunno, but I was doing tentyfive hundred revs in third, or maybe it was fourth.
I think the speedo would be better for going through school zones. You know when to shift without a tach. Your fillings vibrate lose, your glasses get blurry, and the bike will not go any faster in that gear.

Unkle Crusty*

I would value the use of the speedo over the tacho. You know from the sound if its revving high, personally I shift gears from the sound rather than what the tacho reads anyway, no matter what bike im riding. Although over here the speed limit is enforced with nazi tenaciousness, even if you are only 5klm over and you get caught, you WILL get a ticket in the hundreds of dollars. Im pretty sure they have quotas to meet and are just looking to give out a ticket.

Greasy, you are riding a bike so you MUST be a 1%er, right? You obviously deserve to be harassed... :(

The only vehicle that is required by law to have a speedometer in Canada is a school bus. For every other vehicle, it is up to the driver to be in care and control of their vehicle. That includes observing the posted speed limits. A working odometer is however required. Stupid laws...

Personally, I like gauges. In addition to the stock gauges, I've added a volt meter, oil temp gauge, and a gas gauge. Now I'm considering installing a Trail Tech Vapor gauge package and the optional indicator light surround.

Jonjkim, I'm assembling parts to build a digital speedo/tach unit and I found panel-mount LEDs at Futurelec (all the way at the bottom). They don't have blue LEDs (for high beam) in the panel mount unit but I reckon you could buy a spare and a blue LED and swap the diode out. The Reddit thread that pointed me at Futurelec says their shipping is abysmally slow, though.

Levdir,

thanks for replying!, what are you mounting this too tho? i was going to just get regular wedge LED's (for gauges) and put a cover and socket on there, but i stumped on what i can mount those lights to.

all the brackets i've seen on ebay/DCC are all too small for our bikes. the stock mounting holes on our bikes are 5 inches apart.

on top of that my ignition switch has holes 2 inches apart, so i need to find a bracket for that as well (hopefully on i can bolt onto the bracket that my gauges are on), that or i might relocate my switch close to my frame and find a way to secure it.

My plan is just to cut a mounting plate that will fit into the regular dashboard mounting holes in the upper triple since I intend to eliminate the gauges. Probably 1/8" aluminum plate or so.

If all you're mounting is panel-mount LEDs then you shouldn't have any problems using something like 1/4" Lexan. You might want to reinforce the mounting holes with an extra layer of plastic though just for rigidity.

Back