Tank restoration

festy

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all i have a pretty scruwed up tank that had a ton of pin holes all over it. instead of buyin a new one last year i had to actually cut it open and get all the shotty cream coat out then weld it back up to get a different pro coat in it then bondo shape and paint. now i am actually re doing it b/c of 2 reasons. 1 bondo can eventually crack and also i rushed the job so it didnt look that nice up close. sooo yesterday and today i cleaned it up with a flap wheel and 80 grit sand paper to finish to get smooth.

get-attachment.aspx

next step is to shape using icing, which is like bondo but its a polyester filler that is better it cost 20$ and you get a big tube of it n some hardener. i should be doing this next week after work one day.

Last edited:
"Bondo" is poly filling too... Its all the same. Icing is just thinner.

As long as you dont build it up too thick; make sure your metal is clean; and seal it as soon as you are done filing it, you shouldnt have any problems.

Get some quality epoxy, use cab-o-sil or microbubbles as a filler, and you'll never use that store bought body filler again.

i used an MEK that we have at my shop to clean it good before using the icing almost done with the 1st coat n sanding. got some dents i need to address hah

Get some quality epoxy, use cab-o-sil or microbubbles as a filler, and you'll never use that store bought body filler again.

just checked out cab o sil, is it silica and you mix it with epoxy or as the site suggested, resin?

just checked out cab o sil, is it silica and you mix it with epoxy or as the site suggested, resin?

Yeppers. Pretty much you use your own resins/epoxy/whatever, and then turn it into your own filler. I like the cabosil since it is easy to get different consistencies for different jobs. It cures a lot 'harder' than bondo type fillers, but sands just the same. And on the plus side, it is water resistant unlike talc fillers.

Yeppers. Pretty much you use your own resins/epoxy/whatever, and then turn it into your own filler. I like the cabosil since it is easy to get different consistencies for different jobs. It cures a lot 'harder' than bondo type fillers, but sands just the same. And on the plus side, it is water resistant unlike talc fillers.

cool, its really cheap too :bike:

Back