Tanks...for the millionth time I'm sure.

iaregenius

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sort of at a crossroads with my build. I've had several starts and stops and the idea continues to evolve in my mind. I know people keep asking about interchangeable tanks and what will work. My question is the same basically but I'm thinking beyond modding a sportster tank or different XS tank. I want to know if anybody has tried different dirt-bike/enduro tanks from the 60's, 70's and early 80's. I've seen some cool Husqvarna tanks used in different applications but not on a 400.
monk07_10.jpg

I also really like the Yamaha Enduro tanks. Does anybody have anything like these laying around and could sort of show me how they fit or look? Just an idea as I don't have access to anything and the local junkyard charges $100 for trashed tanks and I'm afraid what they charge for a decent tank.
Chicago_Ride_0031.jpg

noid-tim1.jpg

Screenshot2011-06-15at113913AM.png

I wouldn't mind adventuring a little bit with fabricating or modding the tank a little to make it fit but I don't want to mess with the frame at all. I really want a screw on gas cap!

Nobody has experimented with tanks other than the obvious choices? I'm wanting to hear about anything other than an XS tank or Sport tank.

And yeah, that WM build is a beauty!

yeah cut shape rebuild, make it work... seems like everyones building the same generic cookie cutter tracker, chopper, bobber if you want something different git 'er done!

I've put an old moped-tank on mine. It'll work for the summer how it sits now, but I need to replace the petcock so it can rest lower down on the backbones. Every tank can be made to fit as fubar says, just find one you like!

imag0342_153849185.jpg

Now that's what I'm talking about!!! That's awesome Isigt. Thank you, can't wait to see more. I just bought 78' yamaha dt125 endure tank to see how it'll work, wish me luck.

Screenshot2011-06-20at33526PM.png

Screenshot2011-06-21at83936AM.png

Well this is what I got for $30+ Free shipping. Even if it doesn't work or too rough to use it's not a huge loss. If it does work I can always find a nicer one later on.

that is a sweet tank genius
sure you can make that work without too much trouble:thumbsup:

some more tank inspirations from the king of streettrackers:bike:

muleyamaha.jpg

mule-xs650-600x500.jpg

When my dad built his RUDGE, he wanted that "factory" look to his tank, so what he ended up doing was using the original tank to form the top, cut the bottom off, and welded in sections to double the capacity. In one photo, you can see the different tanks he thought of using sitting on the stairs.
picture.php
picture.php

Back