TCI box differences

xschris

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I have a bunch of 80-82 sohc TCI boxes that I have picked up over the years ( five of them:laugh:) and decided to open up an 80 and a 81-82 (sohc) as the 81-82 one look to have a different number on it (the one on top). I was suprised to see they looked much different inside:confused: I know on most bikes and cars the first years are always the worst and has the most issues. I wonder if the 80 TCI boxes where more restrictive on timing or something to do with the new emissions. All I know is the 81-82's are much more simple with a lot less bits inside:laugh: I will have to hook up the newer boxes to the bike and see if it runs any better:shrug:

Attachments

• DSC02484.jpg
    DSC02484.jpg
    306.7 KB · Views: 434
  • DSC02485.jpg
    DSC02485.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 371
My Aus spec 80 is the same as the top box you pictured xschris,
Are they interchangeable between the two?

Yes you can run them with any sohc xs400 setup for electronic ignition. I am running the 81-82 box on my 80 now.

One looks to be a single sided PCB. I bet the other is exactly the same, just has more components on the other side (double sided PCB).

Nope it is one sided. I took another one apart.

Attachments

• DSC02638.jpg
    DSC02638.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 343
  • DSC02639.jpg
    DSC02639.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 338
Usually the second generation stuff is better and less complicated. In this case less is more:laugh:

I have a bunch of 80-82 sohc TCI boxes that I have picked up over the years ( five of them:laugh:) and decided to open up an 80 and a 81-82 (sohc) as the 81-82 one look to have a different number on it (the one on top). I was suprised to see they looked much different inside:confused: I know on most bikes and cars the first years are always the worst and has the most issues. I wonder if the 80 TCI boxes where more restrictive on timing or something to do with the new emissions. All I know is the 81-82's are much more simple with a lot less bits inside:laugh: I will have to hook up the newer boxes to the bike and see if it runs any better:shrug:

In the first post:wink2:

I have the more complicated one on my 78 (came from an 80). Before I switched away from points I replaced all the capacitors in it. fires dead on now! jumped around a few degrees before.

Back