The Age Old Battery Question

faze

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey gang, I need your help since my reading comprehension skills seem to be lacking. I am wondering what an ideal battery is for my 1978 Yamaha XS400-E. I've used the search function, and read several threads on the subject, but the answer remains unclear. I want to maintain electric start (and kick), and while I am not 100% opposed to something of the stock variety, smaller and lighter does sound appealing.

What do you recommend? Please send any recriminations to PMs. :D

In the manual it will say what battery is needed for the bike. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Battery-12N...Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d4798f864&vxp=mtr This is what the bike should have. You can put a smaller battery with the same cranking amps (or more) in it but those are very expensive:doh: If you go kick only you can find a very small and light (about a pound) for around $10-20. You just have to make sure they have a charge rate of 14.5-15v or you will fry them.

Thanks for the reply, Chris, and for the very specific link. :)

Have you guys put acid in battery before? I bet that's trippy. :D I remember topping of the batteries in my old tracked vehicle in the Army, but only vaguely (long time ago). That was probably only distilled water, though.

Any links to a smaller batter with the same CCA?

... Have you guys put acid in battery before? I bet that's trippy. :D
The regular 12N12A battery comes dry in a box. Also in the box is a plastic bottle with the acid along with a convenient little filler tube and good instructions.
Did this twice last year, each time it was easy and didn't spill a drop. Takes a bit of time though as you have to let the liquid settle and the bubbles rise, then top up a couple of times before installing it in the bike.

Up here the damn things are nearly double the price in the U.S., however, every one I looked at was made in the same Taiwan factory (the good China, not the bad one), and just had a different "house" brand depending which store was selling it.
As I recall, Wally had the lowest price - $10 less than CdnTire.

Apparently, the issue with these is not size or capacity but their inability to tolerate the voltage vagaries to which our 30+ yr old charging systems can subject them.
If your bike's output goes outside the battery's tolerance limits it wrecks the battery.

Back