The all mighty wiring

Tyler H

XS400 Member
Reaction score
So with my build I've replaced some things (new headlight, speedo) and obviously everything new I have has different colors. I have a diagram I got off of here and its well put together but it seems as though everything is tied into everything else.. I'm eliminating turn signals and the horn and the new headlight and speedometer I have don't have as many wires coming out as the oem stuff. My question is.. what the fuck can I cut? It seems like there are black wires (grounds?) running everywhere and I don't know if I need to have them hooked up or not. Old turn signal grounds and such can be pulled right? I feel like I should be able to get rid of anything as long as it isn't solid red. Is this wrong?

The headlight I bought has a blue and a black wire coming from it and I need to connected a yellow, green, and black. I assume black goes to black and can I wire the green and yellow into the blue?

I think you need to look over the wiring diagram for your particular year before you start cutting wires...

I just took my old dead and butchered headlight bucket off today (the previous owner loved to "fix" things in "creative ways") and yeah the wiring is messy on these bikes.

The green and yellow going to the headlight are high and low beams. Does your new headlight only have low? If so you could tie them both together or ditch the two yellow wires since those are for the high beam.

As far as grounds being everywhere, yup. They went pretty mental with the wiring on these bikes. When I get all my new lights and clip-ons I'll be simplifying the wiring by grounding everything on the main frame to the frame....then routing a separate ground wire to the forks and grounding the forks......then ground everything to the forks/frame.

Thank you for that. I'm going to get an ohm reader today and see what's going on. I just hooked up a new battery and NOTHING turns on. Does anyone know what the ohm reading should be for the electrical components up front?

got the multi meter, I'm getting power up to my key ignition.. about 11 volts. Putting the meter on anything else is proving to show nothing.. anywhere. Idk what to do. I'm looking at my wiring diagram and I'm not sure how the ignition works exactly, theres power going to and from the key but to what else? seems like a closed system to me

I have at some point disconnected them but now they are all back together. My ignition worked before I tore everything apart. I think the blue wire from the ignition runs to a relay to power the signals? Could be wrong

Blue wire from ignition goes to taillight, red to battery and the third wire (can't remember color) is your accessory power for everything else.

Back